Virgin media

cyfa2809":2wp0renx said:
erm, sometimes, depends what is considered sizable amounts?
The amount / limit depends on the level of broadband you subscribe to, go over it during their peak hours (I think defined as something like 10am - 10pm) and they throttle you.
cyfa2809":2wp0renx said:
oh and if they are throttling it too much, then i havent been told about it (but i suspect its in the small print)
It was trialled in certain regions, then, I believe, rolled out nationwide.

Assuming it applies to your region / your connection, go over the limit defined for your class of connection, during their peak hours, then you're throttled until their peak hours period is over.

If you are falling foul of this, maybe schedule sizeable downloads to off-peak / early hours?

we have a 10mb connection, known as large. which is unlimited download i believe

so what ever way were being throttled, its not right. 4.0kbs (when were being throttled)

i have sometimes downloaded more than 6gb in a day, on occasion (but recently)
although i have done that before also, and not had speed drop

i understand if they zap my speed for the day (to a usable limit, not 4.0kbs) but for almost a month now i think in the evenings

we have all 3 tv, phone and broadband

cyfa2809":1suadyw2 said:
we have a 10mb connection, known as large. which is unlimited download i believe
As far as I know, all the types of connections are subject to throttling (in regions where throttling is active - I believe that's country-wide, now, though).

From what I remember reading, the only difference is the amount of data downloaded during peak hours, that triggers throttling (fast the connection, the bigger limit before throttling kicks in).

Outside of peak hours, there are supposed to be no limits or caps (beyond what is possible during those hours, plus the grace limit during the following peak period, before throttling commences).
so what ever way were being throttled, its not right. 4.0kbs (when were being throttled)
4kbps sounds more than just throttling.
i have sometimes downloaded more than 6gb in a day, on occasion (but recently)
although i have done that before also, and not had speed drop
6gb during peak hours I would have thought will almost certainly trigger throttling at the 10meg connection speed.

Download it after the peak hours (23:00 hours, I think - although the times I read varied from one document to another...), though, and you shouldn't have any problem with throttling.
i understand if they zap my speed for the day (to a usable limit, not 4.0kbs) but for almost a month now i think in the evenings
If you're on 10meg, and you get throttled, I think your speed gets set to the M package (2meg?) for the rest of the peak hours for that day - or at least 4 hours or so.

The problems you're having, though, sound more than throttling - however, if you're downloading those amounts during peak hours, I'm pretty sure your connection will get throttled, which may have a bearing on how bad the connection gets at peak hours (for other reasons).

yeah that all makes sense
is it common for them to cap me for so long though (3-4 weeks EVERY evening)
as i know with sky, if i exceeded my download limit for 2 months in a row i think it was your automatically upgraded

i havent downloaded anything huge in the past fortnight or so

but i can understand the connection quality equating to the speeds we have been getting and traffic
but the quality is great during the day, looking at 2 seconds tops per webpage
as opposed to 4ish minutes when on capped speed :evil:

cyfa2809":1w7o3onh said:
as much as wed like to change, i dont think we can get out of our virgin just yet without paying fees :(

we dont have the superhub, we have the modem(router? whats the difference) which is normally standard from virgin and then a d link dir 615 for wireless

with regards to the speed, it only drops to unusable around 6.30-7pm
not sure when it comes back again, maybe around 1-2am

but during the day, with the good speed i was at times getting 11mb equivalent speed
so its not all bad. just at 'peak times'

(we pay £25 a month for 10mb speed)

lgf - your distance/speed ratio is ludicrous! :shock:

why are you paying £25 per month for 10mb when the 50mb service is currently £25 per month with the phone or £35 per month without seems mad imo that you are forking that out for something that you will get more speed for the same money need to look into that you do the 10mb is currently only £13.50 per month according to the site they also are offering 3 months half price for new customers. what package are you tied into with them

http://shop.virginmedia.com/home.html?b ... topnav_1_1

:shock:
our bill says 25.72 for broadband
we have discount too apparantly! :shock:

erm not sure, we have m+ tv, L broadband and free weekend calls i think (or evenings too, cant remember)

paying on average £60 a month (with some calls made)

Compare that to the service your already getting seems to me you would get more tv and internet on that then your getting at the mo, what you want to do is call them and tell them that at the end of your currnet contract your thinking of cancelling everything and moving on and they sometimes offer you some decent deals to keep you also if you want to change package during current one they allow it

http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles/tv- ... -bbxl.html

included in our £60 ish bill is line rental too though :?

edit: so we should have better services! :shock:
what should we do, what to say if we ring up?
were going to leave for sure but theyre raping us! no doubt about it

Still its only £55.55 with the line rental for that one i would try and get them to tag the 50mb on that package would probably take you to the £60 mark all in then the traffic managment on 50mb and above is far less than the 30mb and below dont notice it as much

taken from site

Traffic Managment

How does it affect me?

Customers with Broadband size: 100 (100Mb) – your usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) is unaffected.

Customers with Broadband size: XXL (50Mb) – your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high.

Customers with Broadband size: XL / L / M – during peak times, we moderate the speeds of the very small proportion of customers who are downloading and/or uploading an unusually high amount. Where we improve upload speeds, we'll also be adjusting our traffic management in the upgraded areas so everyone can get a fair share.

hmm
how would i go about sorting that though?
the easiest way
we would rather leav ebut if it comes to it and we cant, then i guess id settle for second best
that said, if i did upgrade wouldnt that put me into a new 12month contract :roll:

Back