Virgin media

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
rang them as our speed is being zapped to unusable speeds
got cut off 3 times in a row
now have to wait 24 hours for them to sort it to get a refund for our months (probably more) of crap broadband
even then theyre fobbing us off
we want to leave, have until august to leave i think
(from what i read, its over subscription of the network down here due to students)
peak time drops (to 4.0kbs download)
was reading that some people can get their fees wavered
(by 3 different phones calls (each stating different fees)and 3 different reps!)
when i ring the line seems to go dead when i mention compensation
coincidence i think not
i think its because its not in their auto-replys
'compensation - hang up'

so, we want the cheapest yet best broadband provider, ideally on a 1 month or 3 month contract as we may be moving soon ish
and we want phone in with that too (probably getting freeview tv)
also needs to have upto 20mb speed (but happy with my current VM 1omb when it works!)
and unlimited download, no caps (but fair usage is generally fine)
and no speed drops

any help?
it WILL NOT be virgin OR sky
had problems with both!

also, we need info/advice/help on leaving virgin media
in particular, will they still keep it on 'a month in advance' so to speak. i.e we leave today but have our stuff for another month? (so we can sort another provider up)
and we need help on how to leave and not pay fees!

please help

p.s if you cant help, have a rant about your ISP!

we use virgin not a problem on any front , couldnt tell you what speed we run at ? or how to find out

use speedtest (google it)
to check
use the london server at peak times for better results

I use bt....they are crap :twisted: signal drops.....constant jammed page etc.....phoned them an they turned my speed up something......was okay for about a week then drop outs again......ring them again and the same thing...they ust turn your speed down again :? :twisted:

ok just did as you suggested heres the results

45ms ping

download 9.11 mbps

upload 0.97

is that good or bad

My mate swears by bethere broadband - I swear by Virgin media.....

Do you have a router? Apparently, if you know how, the Virgin media firmware on them can be shoddy and effect speeds - and a flash of the firmware can help.

Other than that - I recommend speaking to someone in the UK about this who can resolve it. Unfortunately I don't know what the magic combination of options is to get to speak to someone without a flowchart. You should have reliable broadband from Virgin, if it is not then they need to sort out your hardware or line.

:roll:

We use Virgin Media, and working from home I need a constant good speed connection. I have to ring them once a month or so to get them to sort out the speed and connection as it will drop to silly slow and keep dropping out.

As soon as I ring them it will go back up to 15-17MB (pay for 20) and constant connection. It really annoys me, but having used as ASDL (is that right) line in th epast it was even worse.

I think Virgin have a "give-them-what-they've-paid-for" button on their screen that can be pressed when a complaint comes in. :roll:

I even have a new unused Virgin Hub in a box that they sent me last time I complained telling me it must be an issue with that, funnily enough I've not had to even open the box.

biggs thats pretty good

im considering be broadband
doesnt seem too bad, their ethics seem better aswell

we had trouble with virgin a couple years ago (mrs wanted on demand service though)
before we went with sky (which were better but still not very good)

yeah the firmwar eis crap but i dont know how to do it
its our third wireless router (yeah we have to have a modem and router plugged in for wireless :evil: )
the speed is fine during the day, drops in the evening so i dont think its the firmware

Back