Veganism

Re:

Tried the authentic Bakewell pudding in , er Bakewell once, it was gross!

I've been veggie since '94 when the local port started live exports, going right past our house to get there. That was enough to tell me this was not for me.
I guess Brexit - should it happen - will do for that anyway, if we even manage to sell live exports, as the tarrifs will be high.
I don't think the horse meat 'scandal' or chlorinated chicken thing that's current, is helping the industry. Along with the overcrowded conditions that a lot of animals are kept in.

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3fzlwd19 said:
Tried the authentic Bakewell pudding in , er Bakewell once, it was gross!

I've been veggie since '94 when the local port started live exports, going right past our house to get there. That was enough to tell me this was not for me.
I guess Brexit - should it happen - will do for that anyway, if we even manage to sell live exports, as the tarrifs will be high.
I don't think the horse meat 'scandal' or chlorinated chicken thing that's current, is helping the industry. Along with the overcrowded conditions that a lot of animals are kept in.

Mike

Never knew there was so many like-minded folk on here.

Ref the bleach chicken.... Sad thing is that chicken has more room in an oven being cooked than it ever had when alive.

legrandefromage":3g3i5n5e said:
I've just had a full English at the Duke of Wellington in Matlock.

So there.

How much was it out of interest? lived here years and never been in :roll:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":ygd3ztlv said:
Don't know how leather goods come into it though. Never having eaten footwear, I suppose I wouldn't! Are the animals treated differently for leather making that eating?

Mike
Well generally when you relieve an animal of its skin to make leather the usual outcome is that animal dies; Its not like wool where it grows back!

The way I see it is that if you make the choice to become vegetarian due mainly to an objection of the raising and killing of animals for human consumption then what you really ought to be is Vegan. The total rejection of the use of any products derived from animals (with the exception of those things that can be "harvested" without the need to kill the animal e.g. wool) seems like the only option.

The objection to the consumption of dairy, as I understand it, is that in order for cows to produce milk they must have calves and as the male calves don't produce milk and are not generally suitable for meat production they are usually put down soon after birth (although I understand there are moves to change this in the UK so that they are raised as beef cattle).

My father and grandfather were farmers and my siblings and myself were raised on farms, mainly livestock with some arable (crop) land. I don't have any objection to eating meat or use of animal products (in fact the more use we get out of every part of the animals the better, efficiency and removal of waste from the food chain should be the aim so that we don't have to produce as much as we currently do). I don't condone or support animal cruelty and intensive "factory" farming is something that needs to change but the current demand for cheaper and cheaper food allied with a growing world population is driving these practices.
I'm guilty, like most people I'm sure, of throwing out way too much food that has gone bad. If everyone took more care to buy and consume only what they needed then we would be in a better position and able to reduce/eliminate intensive farming so that we are in a more sustainable position.

Re:

Ah, Leek – and the Potteries. Fond memories. We organised a rave in the woodlands of Leek University one weekend back in '95. Generator, thumping sound system, camp fire, with banners and fairy lights decorating the trees. Have this hazy vision of seeing two bemused coppers doing their usual early Sunday morning beat through our midst, with people still mashing it up in the clear sunlight. They just left us to it, probably thinking we were the usual crazy student population.

Re:

Awesome! Love the photos and the route. And you feasted like a king on the road with his court. I'm very much marcled by the thought of rhubarb and cider – two things I love.

Back