Van Herwerden Impulse buy - What's the script / signature ??

Prometheus

Senior Retro Guru
I was browsing a popular well know auction site just as this frame was posted up. It seemed a very fair price considering it has some nice quality features and nice tubing being Columbus SLX and complete with Columbus fork and shimano 600 headset and BB. So in an impulse moment I hit the button. My initial plan is to either make a 1 x 8 or maybe a single speed and just leave it as is with it's current patina. What do you reckon?

Heres a link to the auction:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180802901964? ... 500wt_1128

All I can find out is that Van Herwerden is a quality dutch cycle shop who seem to have a well respected reputation. I have read that some of their frames were built by some respected master builders including Chesini. There is a signature on the top of BB shell but I couldn't make out what it said from the sellers pic in the ebay ad, however now I have it in my hands.........well actually no I still can't tell :roll:

So does anyone else have any idea what the script reads ?? :?

Herwerdenscript.jpg

I also inverted the image to see if that helps but ..... erm.....no
Herwerdenscript2.jpg

So anyone have a clue?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here's a couple more shots:

Nicely finished pantographed seat stay cluster
Herwerden01.jpg

Pantographed fork
Herwerden02.jpg

I'm assuming original paint due to the head badge still be present
Herwerden03.jpg

'Criterium'

:)

Both Chesini and Zullo built frames for Van Herwerden. Nowadays VH has strong ties with Duell and it is Jan van Dalen who builds the Herwerden frames.

Elev12k":1tucaqzd said:
'Criterium'

:)

Both Chesini and Zullo built frames for Van Herwerden. Nowadays VH has strong ties with Duell and it is Jan van Dalen who builds the Herwerden frames.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Your right...it does say 'Criterium' doesn't it. I was so obsessed with the idea that it must be a name but I just couldn't make it out. :LOL:

It's Mel isn't it? I thought that you would be the one to have some info about the frame. Thanks for the reply. :D .

What do you think of it? Not actually had an SLX frame before so it will be interesting to see how it rides.

When this frame was built, the van Herwerden shop was located on the Parkweg in Voorburg. Voorburg being a suburb of the Hague. The shop was located just down the street from my grandparents', so it became a compulsory stop whenever I went to visit my Oma and Opa.

Nice price. Are you going to restore it? One thing is that it won't lose it's identity with the pantographing.

Yes, Mel it is.

Of course it is a great frame. I hope you will be able to preserve the paint. The pics do not really unveil whether I see dirt or other. What do you think? From the pics I would say the chrome could easily be cleaned.

A BF member posted his example up a while ago: slightly earlier (I think) Herwerden

The worst rust looks to be in the H's pantographed into the fork crowns.
Maybe you could tread that then paint fill them.

Back