Unique paintjob, or not?

vincenth

Retro Guru
First aTangent performance (late 80s?)
Second a koga miyata valleyrunner 1991

At first glance I actually thought that the tangent was a rebadged koga.

FB_IMG_1720945815713.jpg Screenshot_20240714_102412_Marktplaats.jpg

No. The torch is only lit and the flame just wafts over it. You can do the same with a tallow candle. I remember reading an article about it in the late 80s when these jobs started to appear more often. Its essentially soot clear coated on as far as i can tell!

Im not entirely sure if that was how it was done at diamond back, but its certainly how the old timers did that effect.

I assume you just run too much acetylene with little to no oxy. If you shut down a torch you can fill the workshop with floating black strings of soot if you try hard enough......🤣

Im not entirely sure if that was how it was done at diamond back, but its certainly how the old timers did that effect.

I assume you just run too much acetylene with little to no oxy. If you shut down a torch you can fill the workshop with floating black strings of soot if you try hard enough......🤣
Arthur Barnstonworth used to do it with a lit woodbine and a handful of saltpeter.

I refurbed a mates diamond back with that finish. It had some patches of missing paint to touched in with white and used some lit paper to create the smoke effect, then clear coated.

Reminded me of how much repainting I did bitd. Even managed fades using rattle cans and strategically angled paper to prevent the fade going too far.

indeed, I haven't seen a Koga with that paintjob, but Diamond Back, Muddy Fox and Merida with very similar look and most likely same technology used for applying that lacquer.
All those models with that paintjob are from end of 80ies very early 90ies.

Last edited:
Back