Tubed V Tubeless

Practical experience, and in some cases their own testing would suggest not.

A lot of these standards are there as arse covering exercises or legacy data. Or legal requirements.

I run Spesh tyres tubeless (and have for about 5 years now ) generally about 24/26 front to rear , on the puncture note on Monday after our regional Nidderdale ride (there were a couple of punctures with the tubed people) I noticed a 25mm nail in my back tyre (yes it was still fully inflated the following day) so I rest my case , re burping/bending rims those that know how I ride will testify that I wasn't gentle on the long rocky descents we rode down, I know this is retrobike but sometimes I think it should be called ludditebike ;)

Tubeless all the way for me - road, cross and mtb.
Makes even more sense since we moved from S London to N Wales a couple of years ago, where a mixture of slippy grass and pointy rocks can be encountered within moments of each other. That said, also useful in S London to save your hands from getting covered in pitbull business when changing a tube.

Like anything on the bike, you have to work out what works for you. I will only run Geax/Vittoria and Michelin (reinforced) on the mtb and Hutchinson on the road and cross bikes. The tyres have a bit more support in the sidewalls to help things hold together at lower pressures. This is especially good for the more substantial/committed rider.

For what it's worth I avoid Schwalbe, Panaracer and Maxxis tubeless. Had bad experiences with sidewall/bead failure on them.

As to rims, most UST tubeless ready rims are good, especially Fulcrum and Campag road wheels and any of the Stans rims. The only tubeless ready rims I've found a faff were made by Velocity.

Once you find the sweet spot with tubeless I doubt you'd ever want to run tubes again. Don't get me started on tubs!!! That really is a terrible technology only suitable for the most bloody-minded purist Luddite (unless you have team of mechanics to see you through the tedious faff).

Rich

RobMac":2iqo4t9o said:
mattr":2iqo4t9o said:
If you are insisting on following manufacturers recommended pressures, stick with tubes.
I've not run a tubeless above 35psi yet.......
No, I look at the manufacturers figures as a guide only. The amount of R&D that the manufacturers put into tyre development, you'd have thought they'd know best.
I believe the manufacturers' recommended figures are intended to apply to running tubes, and they may be necessary for heavier riders to avoid pinch flats.
For tubeless, Stans recommends 2psi per stone of rider weight, plus 1. I weigh 10 stones, so for me Stans would say 21psi. If I weighed 90kg as above, I make that just over 14 stones, so Stans would say about 30psi.

wynne":dxd29mv5 said:
For what it's worth I avoid Schwalbe, Panaracer and Maxxis tubeless. Had bad experiences with sidewall/bead failure on them.

As to rims, most UST tubeless ready rims are good, especially Fulcrum and Campag road wheels and any of the Stans rims. The only tubeless ready rims I've found a faff were made by Velocity.

Once you find the sweet spot with tubeless I doubt you'd ever want to run tubes again. Don't get me started on tubs!!! That really is a terrible technology only suitable for the most bloody-minded purist Luddite (unless you have team of mechanics to see you through the tedious faff).
Rich

Interesting to hear that you've had issues with Schwable and Maxxis beads. I've always had good luck with Schwable tyres in that regard. The biggest issue I found is that the knobs start to tear and the performance drops off a cliff.

I've just gone back to Maxxis now they do tubeless ready tyres and have fond them good so far.

My previous Contis were pretty good, but the sidewalls were really porous and they took done sealing.

Re:

My one serious attempt was with Contis and mine leaked through the sidewalls too ... however they were Supersonics! :roll:
:LOL:

Managed a few laps of Mayhem by setting off with 50psi and finishing the lap with ~30. Glad I tried it though!

My Mountain Kings were far worse for leaking than the Trail Kings that replaced them. Both were the Protection versions too.

Scrub the tyres, dry them out then go tubeless. Even works with supersonics. Let's the sealant stick properly.

Re:

I don't know why running tubes is somehow Luddite behaviour. Each to their own, I say.

I don't use sealant either, just stop and take a break while I change out a tube. What's the hurry?

For competitions I would answer differently. Being able to run much lower pressures without pinch flats obviously improves traction without the normal penalty. That is an edge you wouldn't want to live without, and I can understand people wanting to ride everyday with that advantage.

There is also the choice to drop down your pressures and ride carefully to achieve the same effect, so it really is up to the individual and their approach.

This reminds me of the old canti v discs debacle.

I have moved to discs as my preference after many years of being told I was a Luddite. I still have bikes with Vs and older cantis. Big deal.

I don't want to run 20psi on the harder parts of trails I use. I don't enjoy wasting a lot of energy on the nice flat parts. I don't want to jump off and drop down to 20psi when I get to the part it is beneficial for.

Riding XC I run 35 or so psi on large volume tyres generally. I have yet to encounter any trails that would demand much lower for traction.

My imagination is that people who run low PSI all the time are either riding the 'harder' routes at trail centres, or are happy to compromise a little by expending extra effort to have an edge when they get to the sticky parts of trails that otherwise don't need such extreme traction.

Like I say, each to their own.

A couple of my mates head out on full downhill rigs with all the armour on trails that are 80% genteel gradient XC. (They stop and play for a while on some more challenging sections.) Does that make them idiots?

I also ride with a chap who complained about punctures all the time before going tubeless.

He would ride over every trail features that I avoided.

Sometimes it is purely the technology compensating for a riding style that makes it hard to live without.

I am glad I grew up riding fully rigid, bending wheels and puncturing tyres daily. It gave me the impetus to select my path carefully.

Nowadays (at 4:cool: I am comfortable hammering through rock gardens letting full suspension soak up the damage, but I still pick my route as though it wasn't there to help.

So, what I am saying in my usual long winded way is good for you if you enjoy tubeless.

Well done.

Just don't assume your way is the only way.

Latest posts

Back