truing / lacing a bike wheel advice

Im sorry if my horse is a bit high, and i really dont mean any offence to anybody...

I just spend my entire career in engineering where you are expected to be highly skilled just to get minimum wage....so im defence of any skill.

Plus im worried about the skills shortage in the new kids....pressing a button to run a cnc program don't make you an engineer...it makes you a monkey.....but thats all they are now trained to do at college....but ,maybe that's all the employers want.....but hey. T.t.f. do i know 😂
No need to apologise, what we do for our pets, eh? Mine is trying to cut down.

Horse.jpg

Regarding the engineering, I say fear not, soon they'll develop sentient AI to push the cnc button, granting the kids plenty of time to swing from tree to tree in their enclosures.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Roger Musson used to be the daddy of self wheel building.
His guide is still available.
He's retired now, but his advice is still valid.
As above, Rogers book is an excellent source of info. As was the advice to buy a tensionmeter, I built my first set of wheels without using one and a mile from home on the test ride I noticed the rear wheel going all wibbly wobbly. When I'd built it, the spokes felt tight to my untrained hand....it was an interesting last mile home I must admit

hi chaps what is this one like? any good

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That will do the job nicely. I see its bids with postage though. There’s another identical for sale bin £28.49 or best offer free p&p. You’ll probably get it for £25 all in? Maybe less? It will probably arrive before the other auction even ends. Happy building, I’ve got 2 to do myself this weekend coming.

I've got that one. It's a bit flexible but it's built plenty of wheels to can't complain. I modified mine with a few 3d printed parts, didn't need to, but I could so I did.

Sheldon brown is your friend.
I keep forgetting about this resource, thankyou for sharing , I was reading out of interest as I used to true my own wheels in my yoof,
but I don't break wheels with reckless abuse of gravity the last couple of decades, so ive lost the nack..
Also I realised between various wheelsets in use and stuff hoarded if I view my collection as parts I can play swapsies and make good sets out of the assortment and save a fortune, ive a couple of buckled wheels to remind myself that skill on first..
I was very lucky years ago to get a Park truing stand and dishing gauge at a car boot for a bargain £20 I think it was!
Ive just gotten two park wrenchs in the sizes I have, and ive also always wanted purple ano nipples on one of my fleet, which I got aged 16 when that was the ponys peanuts to have such things..! so if I can master this on cheap wheels that do not matter, I can do that too!
Another bike related rabbit hole of obsession and learning, but at least ive got the stuff already for this one!

Back