Today's Ride

Re: Re:

02gf74":5zwv611x said:
^^^^ check your tube. Ive recently had to throw two away that had developed cracks at the folds.

I buy latex gloves, only when that's all they have, if I haven't used the box after about 6 months they shred when I put them on!

Re:

Looks like that old saying might just be true, after all (it never rains in California ... )

Took my karate monkey 29er last night. Appreciate it isn’t retro, but it is fully rigid and rides like a retro bike in my head (except it has brakes which work better than cantis) so bear with me.

Anyway, weekend here in Devon was blustery to say the least, and we have had a great deal of rain in the past few weeks and past few days, so much so that a planned night race at Haldon forest on Saturday night was cancelled, and indeed the park itself was closed all day Sunday and some of Monday due to the danger of falling/fallen trees.

So without my planned ride sat night, I instead went out last night and took the aforementioned 29er. I live in a valley, so first up is a horrid climb. Singlespeed sure makes you work hard but you do seem to go up hills quickly as you can’t stop.
I went out and did 20 miles on this a week ago, and spent ages cleaning it. That proved to be pointless! But here it is just off the first road section:

First port of call was a bridleway I have only just seen the signpost for which is quite local…

…turned out to be great for a hundred metres and then found the gateway to a field. The field was in fact a bog:

Still, I tried to get across it, went 500metres or so and it really wasn’t getting any better. I had an idea where it ended up thereafter, and I could hear what sounded like a pack of dogs (from the nearby farm) going absolutely mental. No doubt they were spooked by my lights across the field, so I went back on myself and went to the second bridleway I was looking for.

This was absolutely brilliant. I’m a real fan of checking out bridelways, something I hadn’t really done over the years much, and the joy of finding a decent one is such a buzz. Slowly getting a good loop in together. Anyway, this was a dry mile or so, halted by this tree:

Bit further on and I had a comedy dismount when leaning a bit low for a solo night ride and my tyres washing out. You know how it is in autumn, so many leaves on the ground its hard to see what is underneath, and when that is slippy mud you can slide all too easily.

Fitted a smorgasboard to the front, decent grip but rear still has a tyre with no tread! Decent tyres are a must for winter.

Re:

Today-Tuesday-Up into the Water District on Mt. Tam with Charlie Kelly. About 58 F. and sunny...

Attachments

• CK.jpg
    CK.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 302
  • Along the way.jpg
    Along the way.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 302
  • Climbing.jpg
    Climbing.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 302
coomber":ijot2b0n said:
Took my karate monkey 29er last night. Appreciate it isn’t retro, but it is fully rigid and rides like a retro bike in my head (except it has brakes which work better than cantis) so bear with me.

Fitted a smorgasboard to the front, decent grip but rear still has a tyre with no tread! Decent tyres are a must for winter.

Excellent ride, it reminded me that I love riding at night, so I must get up to the woods, soon (on a bike).

As for brakes, trainers flat on the floor brake better than canti's!

As for tyres, Rocket Rons, especially on a 29'er, they seem to handle everything well, and can be run tubeless.

Re:

Nice one Coomber! :cool:

Sounds like my neck of the woods going by the description.
New bridleways for me, invariably end up as gloop or stinging nettle fest as the trail turns narrow.
I've got RR's on my 29er too. Seem ok, not had any slips at all. But then it's hard to, when they're in the loft! :LOL:

Re:

Will look at a Rocket Ron. Thanks for tips gents.

Nice and dry tonight so took a stroll on the road bike tonight. Still really windy here, quite difficult to ride in on exposed places.

Re:

You need to keep that arse of yours covered you know! The west country plod are prone to a bit o' dogging ;)
Er , so I've heard :oops:

Re:

Thankfully where we ride normally has a winter permafrost, so very little bogging. In fact most of Scotland's higher ground is a good bet in winter, especially maintained trails.

My hope is we can establish some accessible long routes with camping in the Monadhliath that will be operable in all but the most extreme conditions and allow people to enjoy true wild riding all year round, something I have enjoyed my whole life.

Re:

Today-Wednesday-Conditions here are still really good, coolish for here at about 56 F.- 14 C. and partly sunny/hazy-up 1000' to the West of town today...

Attachments

• Today's trail.jpg
    Today's trail.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Climbing.jpg
    Climbing.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Red Hill.jpg
    Red Hill.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Tam.jpg
    Tam.jpg