Today's Ride

Pleased to report that I got my first top 10 finish, with 9th (out of 13), which secured a joint 7th series placing (out of 42. That's 42 people who's entered at least 1 race. As the organiser says, you've got to be in it to win it). Before anyone thinks they're looking at a future Pidcock, my fellow 7th finisher only did 2 rounds and the overall winner had double my points!

That said I had 3 objectives when I decided to give this a shot:

1. Finish a competitive mountain bike race. Even the 2 Mayhems I did, I never actually finished the duration i.e., cross the finishing line at the end.
2. Get a top 10 placing in race and the overall series
3. Have fun

I'm stoked that I ticked them all 👍

Sunday's final round started in humidity and sea mist, but at lap 2, finally disappeared and scorchio scenes appeared. it was proper roasty, so it became an exercise in preservation, especially when I saw 2 nasty crashes and a few folks completely who bonked due to lack of fluids before or during the race. The course had some interesting revisions to the last round with some questionable A lines. I'm sure they were fun to do, but they didn't look like there was much time to be gained compared with B. I even braved a B line instead of taking the C, thanks to a chap who gave me some much needed encouragement.

I think that's what's been the nicest surprise. The competition, whilst fierce and mega-quick, are welcoming and down to earth. I think it helps that I get out the way early when I'm passed, leaving lots of space, and offer encouragement on the odd occasion I do the same.

Biggest kudos goes to a chap who raced a 1995 Raleigh Dyna-tech, ti version, with Royce BB and Middleburn cranks. He came 7th in my category on the day, a good 10 minutes up the road. And with faulty forks with dodgy compression. In small world scenes, it turns out he's marshalling at the Malverns Classic in a few weeks time, so hopefully we'll catch up again.

Anyway, here's some sweaty action pics. Note the Canadian champs version of the 96/97 jersey. I was channelling my best Dave Weins impression 🫣🤣

KeyEfR.jpg

0IfmQA.jpg

ETAGJP.jpg

a4TrvV.jpg
Gongratulations brother! That's something that is still on my list.
The little hillclimb race I once did doesn't really count I guess although I managed to finish 46th out of 62 on my MiFa folding bike from 1975 against the more serious guys on their Carbon MTBs and Roadbikes 🤣

Pleased to report that I got my first top 10 finish, with 9th (out of 13), which secured a joint 7th series placing (out of 42. That's 42 people who's entered at least 1 race. As the organiser says, you've got to be in it to win it). Before anyone thinks they're looking at a future Pidcock, my fellow 7th finisher only did 2 rounds and the overall winner had double my points!

1. Finish a competitive mountain bike race. Even the 2 Mayhems I did, I never actually finished the duration i.e., cross the finishing line at the end.
3. Have fun

Sunday's final round started in humidity and sea mist, but at lap 2, finally disappeared and scorchio scenes appeared. it was proper roasty, so it became an exercise in preservation, especially when I saw 2 nasty crashes and a few folks completely who bonked due to lack of fluids before or during the race. The course had some interesting revisions to the last round with some questionable A lines. I'm sure they were fun to do, but they didn't look like there was much time to be gained compared with B. I even braved a B line instead of taking the C, thanks to a chap who gave me some much needed encouragement.

I think that's what's been the nicest surprise. The competition, whilst fierce and mega-quick, are welcoming and down to earth. I think it helps that I get out the way early when I'm passed, leaving lots of space, and offer encouragement on the odd occasion I do the same.

Biggest kudos goes to a chap who raced a 1995 Raleigh Dyna-tech, ti version, with Royce BB and Middleburn cranks. He came 7th in my category on the day, a good 10 minutes up the road. And with faulty forks with dodgy compression. In small world scenes, it turns out he's marshalling at the Malverns Classic in a few weeks time, so hopefully we'll catch up again.

Anyway, here's some sweaty action pics. Note the Canadian champs version of the 96/97 jersey. I was channelling my best Dave Weins impression 🫣🤣

KeyEfR.jpg

0IfmQA.jpg

ETAGJP.jpg

a4TrvV.jpg

Can you describe the typical courses in more detail, please. Basically; what obstacles are there and, i dunno, scale them from 1 to 10 with regards to severity. Not thinking of having a go myself. Just interested, that's all.

Can you describe the typical courses in more detail, please. Basically; what obstacles are there and, i dunno, scale them from 1 to 10 with regards to severity. Not thinking of having a go myself. Just interested, that's all.

3 types of course for this series:

1. Old skool XC, in the woods, single-track with some fire-road. A couple of short A and B lines, usually descents with differing skill lines.
2. Man-made XC, open landscape, 4-5 A, B, and some C lines. More technical with steeper climbs, descents, off-camber, rocks, etc. Hard-packed ground.
3. In a bike park. Imagine the worst uplift day where every-time you go down a blue or red run, you have to cycle back to the top, twice per lap 🤣

Rating the obstacles is a bit pointless because what I think is hard others did in their sleep with their eyes closed. If you're comfortable with bunny hops, know how to get air and are agile, then there's no bother. A line drops would have scoops removed at the bottom so you have to pump and lift to avoid going OTB. At the bike park, imagine blue and red runs and the sorts of jumps or gaps you'd need navigate.

As per UCI/British cycling rules, a lap can't be longer than 6k and usually takes a figure of 8 or clover-leaf formation. The whippets did 15-16min laps. I was doing 22min 🤣

3. Have fun

KeyEfR.jpg

0IfmQA.jpg

ETAGJP.jpg

a4TrvV.jpg
Congratulations!!, My last race was... some years ago... but following your exploits has got me thinking about doing another!

Chilly NWN 12-15mph breeze meant long sleeves this morning. 12-14 degrees, warming a bit by the end. Wall to wall blue skies and glorious sunshine. Magic on the moors, not a soul to be seen with just the wind, pheasants, finches and the distant rumbling of the sea to keep me company. Lovely stuff!

UcIZ7A.jpg

QzBzfy.jpg

Simone looking rather glorious as well. Can't wait to change the brakes 'cause there're shiiiiiiiiiiiiite 🫣

Back