Today's Ride

Just in 20 k proper red right now. Thank you for your comment. Starting to feel human again.
Wow that has to hurt. Big Bang.

I had a slam yesterday…being pressured from behind by the Grom on my tail in singletrack…did big berms and twitchy ditches in the singletrack…feeling good and relaxing albeit at pace on the last 2km…then a moment’s lack of concentration and onto the marbles in a flat turn….washout to the left at the front and I thought ‘well this’ll be a slide…’ and suddenly B A N G the world explodes, my left knee contacts the ground HARD, followed by my right arm and then right hand side of my face - wearing a full face so no contact of skin with ground but a hell of an impact to my head. I think I had forgotten just how fast I was pressing on. The Grom immediately said ‘…why were you going so fast….’, as well as showing sympathy for rapidly swelling knee. Large bruise on head of my tibia on the inside of my left knee. That means a lot of energy went into the joint…my knee pad on the right preventing big cuts on the chain ring…series of serations on my RH knee despite the pad…but the knee pad did not cover the tibia head on the LH … if I had been wearing my POC pads then there would have been more protection.

Immediate reaction was to ride on, fast….and I think that was the right call. An evening on the sofa with the leg up, no anti-inflammatories since that‘s the new protocol with soft tissue injuries…good night’s sleep but HUGE knee in the morning…move as much as I can, massage it, and since the joint is implicated, now is the time for 400mg of Ibuprofen.

Worried about the flaccid leg muscles…detached tendons would be A Bad Thing…but slowly tense and release the thigh muscles in turn and think the flaccidity is just coming from a protective reflex…but will need to monitor that.

Now…why did I see the need to go so fast? Partly because of leading the trio, partly because I am trying to get some training for the summer season. But the Grom’s right…I could have been cruising rather than pressing hard. He is one to talk…in anything gnarly he’s at warp speed.

2manyoranges, yes you are correct. Maybe running before I can walk so to say. At the moment just resting and staying still to keep claret from running. Leg ok but head is hurting, thank god for wearing a helmet. Think I need to buy a new one as sun peak is missing and interior foam de-formed. Thank you for your comments.
Tim

For sure keep an eye out for any symptoms of concussion - visual anomalies, continued headache, feeling nauseous, etc - if the helmet deformed then there was a lot of energy involved in the incident. Were you conscious throughout? Concussion is now becoming more recognised as a serious issues, and the mechanism of rotational brain injury now far better understood. Keep an eye on symptoms and don't be afraid to go to your GP.

Hello. Thanks for the above advice. Yes concious throughout having closer inspection of heat it looks as though the lip below sun visor turned inwards and that fits the shape of the cut exactly. Felt OK afterwards it was my pride that got hurt the most.
Tim

Staying in Berlin with friends this weekend, so rude not to do a ride along the former Berlin wall. This is the outer boundary in Brandenburg, now a very well used cycle path.
The cycle infrastructure here makes me very jealous. Virtually every house has bikes parked outside and using a bike as transport is just part of life. There must have been literally hundreds of people on bikes using the same route as me today. Some for fun, others just to run errands.

And the bike? It was a bit rubbish to be honest, loose headset and in need of a bit of tlc. But that really wasn't the point on this ride

PXL_20220605_105857934.MP.jpg
PXL_20220605_095809615.MP.jpg
PXL_20220605_115116400.MP.jpg

After doing about 80 miles on the road bike last week it was a real pleasure to get on a fat tyre 26-er again today. No picking the least bone-shaking lines through badly finished (barely finished) road repairs today. Oh no! It felt like riding on fluffy pillows of soft loveliness. Not as fast, but it felt like luxury.

British racing green and a brown saddle for that old school look. And Her Maj, with the corgis and Queen's Guard: a fine piece of British eccentricity.
PXL_20220605_165518206.jpg
PXL_20220605_165508976.MP.jpg

A lot going on the last few days, not rat-bag establishment related. Got a beautiful morning ride in last Thursday. Wednesday through to Friday night were wall to wall blue skies and golden sunshine...not hot...but beautiful and enough to get a tan.

EXQcuD.jpg

5b2j7y.jpg

CbzAma.jpg

Best of all, I finally got the garage set-up. Over three days we cleared what felt like 3 cubic tons of dust and filth, got it cleared, cleaned and painted, then built the racks and shelves back up. Immensely satisfying.

pCXil6.jpg

Back