Today's Ride

Re: Re:

davroos":1pjb86is said:
With Saturday being glorious, and I had to work, we decided to ride on Sunday.

It rained a little, and as we came into Marlow, the sun was out, a little cold, but still very nice. We didn't stop, straight over the bridge and headed for the Quarry Wood climb, where the views from the top are awesome. I would like to say that this climb was great, but the road was wet and some idiot had dumped oil or diesel up the whole climb. I've ridden on ice but this was worse, my gf wanted to jump off near the top, but she stayed on and gingerly took it around the corner. Once she was happy that there was no more oil build up on the tyres, off she powered again.

Cookham had a nice Christmas fair going on, so we walked through the middle. Next up was Maidstone, quickly followed by Eton, and then we pulled in at Windsor for a coffee stop.

Back on the road, we headed for Didcot, Staines and Laleham, a traditional route for us, and as we neared Shepperton, something happened, we were on a flat, doing minimum 35ks, I was following, and my front just went, and all I could feel they started cl......4

That would be Maidenhead.

Re:

Today-Saturday-After all the people and excitement at the big event in Monterey yesterday, back in the saddle this afternoon for a quiet climb up to the West of town-really warm, about 88 F. ( 32 C. ) today. Passed a Giant Lizard attached to the wall of a parking spot by the road on the way to the climb...

Attachments

• Oh Yeah.jpg
    Oh Yeah.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 445
  • Giant Lizard.jpg
    Giant Lizard.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 445
  • From 800' up.jpg
    From 800' up.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 445
Re:

Today-Tuesday-Feels like summer out today-84 F. and sunny. I almost ran over this Garter Snake on the way up on Iron Springs fire road, so I stopped, took a pic, and shooed him off the road before he did get run over. Sweating like crazy at the top of the climb 900' up today...

Attachments

• sweaty climb today.jpg
    sweaty climb today.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 406
  • At the Top.jpg
    At the Top.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Garter Snake.jpg
    Garter Snake.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 406
Re:

Garter snakes aren't poisonous-they eat mice and such-the only snake we have that is poisonous around here is the Rattlesnake. My spotting 2 snakes in a month is kinda unusual. The only other critters in California besides the Rattlesnake that are mildly poisonous are the Tarantula in the Southern Desert area and Black Widow Spiders and Scorpions. Those three can make you sick but not dead. The Rattlesnake can kill you, but anti-venom for it's bite and for the Black Widow's bite is used to treat them. I read that 800 people in California a year get bitten by rattlesnakes, with about 5 deaths. So, out of a population 0f 39 million residents, plus millions more visitors-it's pretty safe here-compared to the South Eastern and Midwest US, where they have many kinds of poisonous snakes that crawl and swim-plus alligators...

FairfaxPat":d9x1jauu said:
The Rattlesnake can kill you, but anti-venom for it's bite and for the Black Widow's bite is used to treat them. I read that 800 people in California a year get bitten by rattlesnakes, with about 5 deaths.
Ticks with lyme disease, rattlers, mountain lion and bears is what worries me about riding in your fine country.

We have snakes popping up for time to time. The Red Belly Blacks are mostly timid as long as your don't startled or corner them. They will usually run away. You mostly survive a bite of one of those.

The brown snakes can be pretty nasty and will go you if provoked. They can get you to meet your maker pronto and have potent venom. don't mess around with those guys

Plenty of fine snake stories here.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... 286-Snakes

Mr Crudley":1h7wfw46 said:
FairfaxPat":1h7wfw46 said:
The Rattlesnake can kill you, but anti-venom for it's bite and for the Black Widow's bite is used to treat them. I read that 800 people in California a year get bitten by rattlesnakes, with about 5 deaths.
Ticks with lyme disease, rattlers, mountain lion and bears is what worries me about riding in your fine country.

We have snakes popping up for time to time. The Red Belly Blacks are mostly timid as long as your don't startled or corner them. They will usually run away. You mostly survive a bite of one of those.

The brown snakes can be pretty nasty and will go you if provoked. They can get you to meet your maker pronto and have potent venom. don't mess around with those guys

Plenty of fine snake stories here.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... 286-Snakes

There haven't been any fatal bear attacks in California in at least the last 40 years or so, and only 15 mountain lion attacks, with one fatality in the last 30 years, so I don't really worry about them. Rattlesnakes are the one poisonous snake we have here-just like you have only one in the UK, the Adder. So don't worry, ride happy...

FairfaxPat":27dl55t6 said:
Rattlesnakes are the one poisonous snake we have here-just like you have only one in the UK, the Adder. So don't worry, ride happy...

I'm down south in Sydney Australia.
Everything here tries to kill you :roll:

Latest posts

Back