Ti virgin needs help!

julesg007

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,

I thought it was about time I lost my cherry and I've just got my first bit of Ti, a 1994 Clark Kent F14, however, being a Ti novice I'd like some guidance before I get on with the build once I get all the parts together.

i) Frame re-finishing - The frame is now 17 years old and does show signs of useage with scratches, some signs of chain suck and the original polished finished is looking a little dull. Is re-finishing Ti a DIY job or should I leave it to the professionals? If I can do it myself what would the best way to do it, hoping that it'll be as simple as getting out the autosol and an old rag but I fear not!

ii) Anti seize - I've been advised by the previous owner that I should use a anti sieze product to help assembly and of course prevent seizing and cold welding. I am aware you can get specific products such as Finish Line Anti Seize Lub, but could I use something like copperslip?

iii) Seatpost - I will be using a Ti seatpost. Should I apply any anti seize product when installing?

iv) General Advice - If there is anything else that would be of use or that I should know or generally be useful I'd be grateful for the guidance.

Thanks

julesg007":1ujx2vxq said:
i) Is re-finishing Ti a DIY job or should I leave it to the professionals?

Use Scotch brite.

ii) could I use something like copperslip?

Copperslip will do.

iii) Seatpost - I will be using a Ti seatpost. Should I apply any anti seize product when installing?

Yes. Just to be on the safe side. Your seattube probably has an alloy insert - most Ti frames seem to.

iv. Ti seems to amplify bike noise, so be prepared for some detective work when you hear various creaks and ticks. (Also, see iii.)

V. It's a Clark Kent, so check that sucker for cracks like your life depends on it, because if you're going to ride it, it does.

Thanks for the replies.

Polishing; I did a little moching around on the web and I did find a few suggestions about polishing the frame, including using lemon pleadge and toothpast, so I'll have a go at polishing myself in an indescrete place such under the chainstay and see if I am happy about the result.

Assembly Lub; will deffo be using - better to be safe than sorry.

General; Cracks - please explain - if the frame has been ridden on and used since it was made and hasn't cracked thus far, why should it crack now?

mechagouki":eotcedx7 said:
V. It's a Clark Kent, so check that sucker for cracks like your life depends on it, because if you're going to ride it, it does.

hmmm, that's news to me, are they really that bad???

Polish up using a brown Scotchbrite, rub around the tubes rather than along.

Finish Line anti seize lubricant works well, Ti on Ti can suffer from "Galling" or in other words sticks like ***t to a blanket

GT-Steve":3nir8uid said:
mechagouki":3nir8uid said:

hmmm, that's news to me, are they really that bad???

Just one of many threads on the subject:

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/cracked-ti-frame-21020.html

@ julesg007: it's called metal fatigue, and it's the reason why evn companies like Moots have limitations on their "lifetime" warranties.

Pic of frame I did using 'garry-flex' blocks....

DBRFrame-Brushed3.jpg

Build thread for more pics/info ;) .....

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

pm me with any questions :)

Cheers

I am aware that there have been problems with CK frames, but your comments "It's a Clark Kent, so check that sucker for cracks like your life depends on it, because if you're going to ride it, it does." seems to indicate that all CK frames are going to fall to pieces, which I am sure is news to those here on the forum happily riding CK frames with no problems whatsoever.

Also you seem to be indicating that the problem is down to metal fatigue, which seems to indicate no matter what your frame is made off and who it is made by it will also fall to pieces, which again I'm sure will be big news to everyone on the forum.

I have riden both steel and alloy frames and I have never had a problem with them.

So why is a titanium frame any different?
[/quote]

Back