Ti MTB - w/serious weld beads!

ti

The welds look like pidgeon sh1t. Has that headtube been manufactured in 2 pieces?

novekili":154i98la said:
It's a titan, isn't it?

yup, Titan, I believe peteMc used to have one. BITD when most ti frames were $1700 & upwards the titan was $999 with a fork, headset, seatpost & bottom bracket. I've got an MBA test of one somewhere

The ebayed frame might be a prototype. There are too many similarities with the production frames to make it home-made, so it's most likely an original Titan Titanium Compe. But the welds are not production-quality, and the weld on the head tube definitively should not have been there. The frame hasn't been finished off either, lots of discolorations.

According to the seller:

"Oh,I got it from awarehouse filled with bike parts and frames and everything you could think of. They used to be a distributer of Titan but lost the contract. So I more or less picked this thing off a pile of forgotten frames. That's all I can tell you. So I guess your correct with regard to it's origins."

"By the way this is not a prototype. There are several of these frames at the warehouse. they simply have not been ground down. They are hand made and have no sharp beads or gaps at all. There are a couple that have been partially grinded so I have seen the progression. ALL the head tubes are joined like that at the center and then ground down and painted. Just because a weld is not ground doesnt make it weaker."

Sounds a little weird, why weld around the head tube and then grind it down..?

Back