Thin MTB frames

suburbanreuben":32mn3cle said:
FluffyChicken":32mn3cle said:
that picture above doesn't look to have skinny tubes but oversized tubes.
skinny tubes are 28.6mm

28.6mm top and 31.8mm down.

Which to be fair is standard 'skinny' sizes for the tubing, at least in the Mid 90's
But for road tubing it was 25.4 top 28.6 down (As per Danone request. not what I was talking about, but thought I would mention it))

I must stay, it doesn't look that skinny in your picture though. Quite surprised :D
Both my Rocky Altitudes are the same (I think. Something for me to check.)

FluffyChicken":39zj7zaf said:
suburbanreuben":39zj7zaf said:
FluffyChicken":39zj7zaf said:
skinny tubes are 28.6mm

Which to be fair is standard 'skinny' sizes for the tubing, at least in the Mid 90's
But for road tubing it was 25.4 top 28.6 down (As per Danone request. not what I was talking about, but thought I would mention it))

I must stay, it doesn't look that skinny in your picture though. Quite surprised :D
Except it's 2003...
Looks skinnier here, http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =soulcraft
Blimey, I've nearly had it for two years, so must be good! :LOL:

suburbanreuben":1f7ug8zt said:
FluffyChicken":1f7ug8zt said:
suburbanreuben":1f7ug8zt said:
FluffyChicken":1f7ug8zt said:
skinny tubes are 28.6mm

Except it's 2003...
Looks skinnier here, http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =soulcraft
Blimey, I've nearly had it for two years, so must be good! :LOL:

Feck knows what tubing they had in them years. Steel was probably a rarity in itself ;)
Only mentioned mid 90's 'cos that's what Danone was after.

Raleigh summit/Apex? They always seem to appear in the larger sizes. Also, oozing road bike style.

apex_bike_as_bought_145.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

:D

RobMac":2nrglv6c said:
Bad combination skinny tubes and huge frame :?

I still stick with what Ive said, I hear you all going on about skinny this and skinny that BUT nothing about butting & gauge & grade :?

RobMac":1i6fnvck said:
RobMac":1i6fnvck said:
Bad combination skinny tubes and huge frame :?

I still stick with what Ive said, I hear you all going on about skinny this and skinny that BUT nothing about butting & gauge & grade :?
Exactly! It's you who generalised about skinny frames, with no regard to thickness, butting etc...
You're kind of right though; try making a bike out of skinny ti or aluminium,, and you're asking for trouble.

I was waiting to see how long this thread would run before somebody mentioned (butting & gauge & grade) :?
Im a bit disappointed it had to be me.

Back