Thin MTB frames

Danone

Devout Dirtbag
I want a new frame for a future build. Being retro minded of course, preferably a simple design, mid 90s and steel but more importantly, very narrow tubing similar to that of a classic road bike. The only frames that come to mind are the original Konas' of this era. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

didnt diamondback have some thinnies? seem to remember my first forray into this forum was about an DB Apex - this had pretty thin top and down tubes and skinny seat/chainstays....
still need to find that frame...... :twisted:

EDIT: this is the only pic i have of the one i had:

apex.jpg

What about a Univega? This one of mine is a 1994.

ABCD0004-10.jpg

How tall are you? I'm 6ft 2" and mine is 19", I certainly wouldn't want it any bigger for riding off road.

All of the above are nothing compared to my Dave Lloyd. I could cover the top tube with my thumb when standing over the bike. The 631 tubes were TINY.

Very good point RobMac :) Any less than 20" seems too small a frame for me though, and i'm not tall! :?

RobMac":17zs4i8e said:
Bad combination skinny tubes and huge frame :?

Not at all.
Sean had been building them this way for ten years before this one, and ten years later, still does.
Best, and skinniest, bike I've ever ridden.

Attachments

• DSC00296-001.JPG
    DSC00296-001.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,294
that picture above doesn't look to have skinny tubes but oversized tubes.
skinny tubes are 28.6mm

cheap konas had them as a full set say a '93 lavadome if that what I remember seeing.
most had moved to at least a few oversized tubes at the higher end for sometime.

I think the univega used some is tubes.

Back