the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

DSCF9583_zps9a2494c1.jpg

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I'm sick of compatibility issues....simple changes on all my bikes this winter has turned into a daily search for minor parts!

This is my drop build, 1988 Cannondale SM700. It's perfect! Unfortunately I've tried 3 MTB front mechs with the old RX100 brifters and nothing will shift all 3 rings. I was reading about compatibility issues a few pages ago in this thread, have done some googling on my own, and am still not sure if the problem is worn-out front mechs (all 3 have sloppy pivots) or incompatibility. I hate to dump coin on another front mech, but I'd love to shift the front with the lever as intended. I will update when I find a road triple, bottom pull, 31.8 clamp unit that's suitable.

shogun700":libwwzz1 said:
Unfortunately I've tried 3 MTB front mechs with the old RX100 brifters and nothing will shift all 3 rings.

That's very cool bike. Road shifters are not compatible with MTB front mechs. You will need road derraileur unfortunately.
That made me chose bar end shifters for my built; F.Moser Pro Comp Ax, currently my favourite bike.

moser_1.jpeg

Marcin

marcinski":2z1qcrrl said:
shogun700":2z1qcrrl said:
Unfortunately I've tried 3 MTB front mechs with the old RX100 brifters and nothing will shift all 3 rings.

That's very cool bike. Road shifters are not compatible with MTB front mechs. You will need road derraileur unfortunately.

Marcin

You can use a MTB front mech with STI, but it requires a small modification to account for the
lower amount of cable pull from the STIs.

Cut a small groove on the arm of the FD the other side of the pinch bolt where the cable
normal attaches. Route the cable in the new slot, fasten up and away you go. It's good to have an
inline cable adjuster to help fettle the indexing.

I'm running a 1995 LX FD-M565 with 2012 Tiagra ST-4603 STIs; works spot on, including the trimming functions on my CX rig. Some people say it makes the STI gear lever a bit stiffer and put's more stress on the ratchet / pawls, but
I haven't had any issues and it's a big improvement compared to flimsy road triple FDs which are pretty much impossible
to find in the top-pull flavour.

mechanical_vandal":dvr0eyg7 said:

Good lord....what tyres are you running and what is the clearance like? Looks a good solid build and a fun ride though.

26x3.0 Nokian Gazzalodi on the front, 26x2.7 Bonty Big Earl on the rear. Frame clearance could be better on the rear but far from anything to worry about, fork and straddle cable/brake arm etc clearance is all fine.

The wheelset has a wider rear rim than front but I've got a set with the wider rim front and rear on the way. That'll let the front tyre sit a little fatter at the bottom but don't think it'll cause any clearance issues.

Ride is a bit heavier and more sluggish than when it was on a pair of 2.2 RaceKings but it feels like a monster truck. Once you get it rolling, it keeps going.

Marcinski, Woz, thanks for your input. I believe I have located the exact matching FD for these shifters in the correct size and pull (imagine that) so I hope to be shifting all 18 soon. In the meantime I may try your method Woz, I have a couple mechs hanging around.....

Alternately you could use 1st generation Dura Ace or Ultegra front shifter which were not indexed and would hapily put the derailleur wherever you want it.

Latest posts

Back