The Sound of Mountain Bikes

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Due to lockdown I watch a lot of mountain bike videos. Due to having traits of Autism I notice stuff that maybe most don't or don't care about. The one thing I have noticed is modern mtb's make a totally different sound from our retro steeds when they rattle down a trail. I know of course that modern rigs have more carbon fibre and aluminium than our bikes plus clutch mechs to control chain slap but to me the modern sound is discordant.
Modern bikes sound hollow, dull, lacking in metallic rattle and ding, soulless.
I am a proper retro grouch, imagine even finding modern bikes just sounding wrong on top of everything else :roll:

velomaniac":xep2f1c2 said:
...I am a proper retro grouch, imagine even finding modern bikes just sounding wrong on top of everything else :roll:
Your problem is you used to ride singlespeed.

Like most single speeders you'll find the only acceptable sounds from a bike are the rasp of the tyres on the trail, the silky sound of a properly tensioned chain, the demented howling of disks on a wet descent, and either the tick tick of a freewheel or the waspish buzz of a Hope Trials free hub. :)

Not true, I like the rattle of chainslap on a chainstay, the metallic dings and chimes, the thunk of a cheap fork, the screaming protest of a rim brake. A bike that sounds like a rattling cutlery drawer with associated creaks, groans and screams, though admittedly some of those sounds come from the rider :)

Or the sound of a a voice barely audible shouting through the trees from the trail........ “you all right mate?”

epicyclo":qz5e168e said:
velomaniac":qz5e168e said:
...I am a proper retro grouch, imagine even finding modern bikes just sounding wrong on top of everything else :roll:
Your problem is you used to ride singlespeed.

Like most single speeders you'll find the only acceptable sounds from a bike are the rasp of the tyres on the trail, the silky sound of a properly tensioned chain, the demented howling of disks on a wet descent, and either the tick tick of a freewheel or the waspish buzz of a Hope Trials free hub. :)

love the ticking sound of a freewheel :oops: :LOL:

Re:

Ahhh... The thwack of steel on plastic, the crunch of rubber on gravel, and the lamented wails of skin left on terra firma.
Nothing says "Summer" like the sounds of retro mtb :LOL:

Re:

I’ve never heard the sound of v8 pins hitting my shin.

I have heard - as others have too - the sound 1.4 seconds after this has happened.

Either

‘......yeeeeeeurkmmmmmmph....’

If I able to suppress the scream of pain. Or...

‘...faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.....’

If I can’t.

I am wearing a v8 pin tattoo on my left shin as I type....

Back