The Retrobike Unofficial Tight-Arse Bike part thread.

MADJEZ

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The cable thread got me thinking, what absolute bargains does everyone swear by.

Asda do gear/brake cable set for £4 ! Great for getting a wreck up and running quick.

$(KGrHqZ,!hIE2e5qhRpEBNp0fifbd!~~_3.JPG

They also do some perfectly serviceable chains also £4.

Poundland is another great source, they sell bike covers for... well a pound. PVC just as good as Halfords, great if you have a leaky shed.

Every so often they do inner tubes £1! I grabbed a handful.
Tescos/Asda also cheap for tubes (about £2.50), I refuse to repair punctures !

Also a huge fan of Lidl cycle tool kit (about £20-£25)

Anyone else got any great tips ??

Got a supply of chains from asda
Got a supply of bell grips from asda
Got a supply of v brake blocks from tesco
The cables come from wilkinsons
I have a set of cheap 26" tyres from wilkinsons

All ideal for getting your mate's wreck going before its slung back in the corner of the garden

kirbdug :D

Agency_Scum":2rapxrqs said:
Wilkinsons do brake and gear inners for 89p each.

+2 they're stainless, I have loads of these in stock.

I've bought a few of the £4 chains from Asda too, they do the job perfectly well.

Foam grips from the poundshop for drop bars make at least two pairs of mtb grips or four if you like them narrower.

You can't knock the Asda cable set for £4, the only gripe is that the outers aren't lined (Wilkinson's are though ;) )

I'm a terrible snob and tend to buy the good stuff to put on the bike.

But I also don't mind putting cheap tat on myself and have a wide assortment of Aldi gear.

Also Edinburgh Cycle Co-op camelbak copies are good value for the money.

plenty on fleabay,,,brake block ten for a fiver,inner cables from 4.99 for ten ,outer about six quid for 3 mtres :D

Think Asda might have single speed (they sell 2 types) but suspect they are for BMX so not sure if long enough.

Back