The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff and sales: Amps amps amps!!!

looks more like a glue done badly at manufacturing to me. capacitors can leak when old but the tops generally bulge out and dont leak anything that looks like that.

More than likely just glue. Lots of manufacturers glue in big capacitors (that's what they be) in order to pass shock and vibration tests for CE marking.

fostex orthodynamic headphones

as above. been modified with new shure pads and all the other mods that are current to the many forums on these fantastically capable headphones. plus rewired with £100 worth of pure silver wire. terminated with a neutrik balanced XLR plug but also come with a balanced to jack lead. not silver wire but still with neutrik gold plugs. cost me around £250 and quite a bit of work and they are unbelievably good and easy to see why hi-fi buffs are getting so excited about them. only selling as i got some taket H2`s and only one pair of ears.
£150 posted. listening to them now and really not sure i want to part with them!! they are bloody awesome and ive had hd800`s stax and most top end grados and these really do sound fab. i was going to buy a set of grado ps1000 off a chap on ebay and was ready to pay him and he told to forget the grados and buy some of these! he had all the top cans and the modded fostex where his go to fav`s to give an idea of how well regarded they are.

Re:

Never understood the point of having balanced drive to headphones - well, it isn't really balanced to headphones is it? By their nature, they're single ended devices, so you need to convert to single ended before connection to the drivers, so all you're doing is adding an extra return wire by grounding either the hot or the cold line (the 'phase' or 'antiphase'. XLRs are posh connectors though - if a little inconvenient for domestic use.

Re:

I am getting excited as I will be getting a set of grado sr80s in the post soon- family's disdain of my superlative taste in music is driving me underground. I have read that these phones are easy to drive and the sound thru my amp seems good to me with the wee koss headphone I have but will a separate headphone amp make that much of a difference to the sound to be worth the expense?

If you're driving them from full size hifi, the gains from a separate headphone amp can vary depending on how good your main amp is.

I designed a rather novel one which in mine and some other more 'obsessed' audiophiles, is somewhat better than some rather expensive well known ones. If you're dissatisfied with yours for any reason, you're welcome to borrow the prototype.

AKG K340's are well worth a listen too - I prefer them to the SR80 which IMO are a bit 'light' though are very exciting.

are you interested in a frazzled rotel integrated apache? its an RB960BX2 and can see that 4 off the 5watt resistors are cooked. its beyond my skills and was going to ebay it for spares repairs and proceeds go to a local cat rescue. also got a marrantz superscope cd/330 tape recorder and a mint leak stereo 30 thats down on one side but not no signs of cooked parts or leaky caps. your prototype can amp sounds interesting. get a piccy up!

Re:

ha ha wife would love that Mr Panda- I had swithered and looked at some akg k550 as they get good reviews also and if I do not like the drados I might still go there, do the AKG 340s not need some driving- electrostatics?

Latest posts

Back