The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff and sales thread

Well, it was Stan Curtis at the time anyway. Rumours back then mentioned iffy Chinese money behind the deals but he was shifted out a few years later anyway. IAG now own many brands, Quad, Audiolab, Mission and so on.

Big manufacturing plant in Shenzhen, big enough to include a country club. Many products had to be remanufactured here in the UK (2004 anyway) as they were faulty.

karma..posted at cost..rm/parcel force (drop of only). Loft clearout.

PLease PM me if interested, I'm not going to subscribe to this thread for updates.

rotel rx-402 its a 5pin din input job. The original mains lead has been cut but enough is left to add an extension. front is tidy but the word volume has rub. I'm being honest in saying i have no idea how well it still works. Its been years since i had a 5 pin din to check the inputs and the speaker outs are also 2 pin din. yours for postage if you want it.

Sony str-d515 i know there is a dodgy input on the video 1 selector. comes with remote. again been years since it was tested. Again free.

apache":39zba6ot said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Synergistic-SR20-13a-mains-fuse-suit-Naim-Linn-Valve-amplifier-or-Furutech-/251407289158?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_HiFi_Separates_Systems_Combos&hash=item3a890acb46

I really did genuinely LOL, as they say. :LOL:

didnt even raise a titter from me, this sort of shite was what I had to deal with every bloody day at work - 'if I fit this will it sound better? my mate says it does'

que the next half an hour of me telling them why it doesnt do anything other than lighten your wallet of ridiculous amounts of money

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I emailed a chap selling 'screened' mains leads yesterday asking how the screen worked if it's not actually grounded. Got an email back saying 'it blocks nasty radio interference which ruins the sound quality'.

I replied saying 'no it doesn't. It cant because it isn't grounded. And anyway, there's no screen on your ring main - or the cables to the house, or the hundreds of miles of lines strung from pylons'. Didn't get a reply...

There's so much utter BS around hifi - still looking for a nice pre. Watching an 8000P at the mo, and as long as it stays under £100, I'm 'avin it! Some decent design there - and ripe for a bit 'o' fiddlin!

I always wanted a pair of these when I was a kid and used to go into Tandys (RIP) and stare at them. They were huge! And had horns any everything! Never did find out what they sounded like. Typically 70's I guess...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Pair-of-V ... 4d168e88b0

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My TAG McLaren AV32R pre-amp is looking rather sad and forlorn - extraordinary good at being a stereo pre-amp and at the time it was one of the best multichannel jobbies too.

Its a pre-production development unit which means slightly different DACs, AC3 RF demodulator fitted and 'proper' BNC digital inputs.

For the multichannel fans, it is DTS, Pro-Logic 2, and of course Dolby Digital. All THX certified. It can accept two channel 192khz material too. I have a demo somewhere. Standard processing for analog is all done at 96khz (From memory).

It was upgraded via software updates - which sounds familiar! Everything seems to do that these days but back in 1999 it was a rare thing.

IF I was looking to sell, it would be for around £250.

IF...

AV32R_silver2.jpg

apache":m4jeh6ro said:
I always wanted a pair of these when I was a kid and used to go into Tandys (RIP) and stare at them. They were huge! And had horns any everything! Never did find out what they sounded like. Typically 70's I guess...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Pair-of-V ... 4d168e88b0

You should know yourself that 'typically 1970's' sound was from weedy transitor amps or old fashioned valve amplifiers. Most people couldnt afford the proper stuff until later in the decade when the amps like the NAD 3020 came out.

Stuff like this is actually quite sort after because they are easy to drive and get sucked up by those valve fruitloops.

clockworkgazz":kw9uvzp3 said:
Could I ask for your suggestions for some well recorded music to compliment your Hi-Fi set up, not just good music but very well recorded too

Asked and got this for Chrimbo The Smiths Complete If you read the reviews they are favourable for the remastering and production and indeed it sounds brill!

I also got this recently on Vinyl and again its wonderful, very raw and cut back. Glen Campbell

looks good mr K but out of stock at the mo- been trawling the charity shops for some gems- £1 a go so nothing to lose.

Latest posts

Back