The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a difficult one, Cro-Mo when you've tasted titanuim! ;)

I've been reading the Orange to remake Vit T thread and thinking I must play the Lottery more often.

Welcome to all the new members!

Dianesefreak - good luck with the Vit T search. I think a few members are hunting them! ;)

yup, welcome to the happy place.

It'll bite you know, you'll think you are just 'observing' and before long...

..."well just a quill zooka then, just that...

...oohh a set of Grafton Joystix...

...sod it, I DO need that Pace RC100"

:D

Welcome all! Good to hear your stories of biking intro and current rides. Its how most of us started..

Feel free to post and start new threads, and if you have a lot of time to yourself, check out the gallery and archive.
An amazing resource now!

Andy
:D

new here....

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting back into mountain biking; used to do loads at uni but then... well, i got a job and could afford a motorbike again!

I want to start again and what was a nice new-ish bike now seems pretty retro, but i don't know anythng about it, so i was wondering if anyone here could tell me if its good/bad, common/rare (i've never seen another quite like it though there are some similar ones).

I left it in Wales with friends for a while and when i got it back, they'd fitted XTR brakes and changed the forks!

Am I better off selling it? If so, is it worth anything?! Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Attachments

• woty 056 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    woty 056 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,832
  • GT Manuals 001 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    GT Manuals 001 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,832
Hi Tim, welcome. Nice bike, deffo worth something. Start a new thread is prolly best way to get input :D

Hello

Hello, my names Steve and I like bikes, and riding them. I'm in Leicester and have a small retro collection. I don't have any pics to hand though unfortunately, but i'll try and get a few taken for the readers bikes section.

I've got a mid 90's Marin Palisades Trail. Two early 90's Treks, two mid/late 90's Klein Mantra's, one of which was in regular use until recently, and i've just bought a brand new Commencal for XC and singletrack use.

With the purchase of the new bike i'm hoping I can strip and rebuild the Mantra's and just use them for light duties and they really are unique bits of kit, I love them.

See you on the forums throughout the day, most of my work hours are spent surfing the internet. If anyone's in the Leicester area, i'm always up for rides.

Hi Mr H
Welcome. Shame i'm not in your part of the country :( Quite a collection of bikes you have :D

Yeah spose, although I didn't set out to get nice bikes. One of the Treks is my dads, which he bought new and has languished in his garage for years, I bought a turbo trainer and wanted something to use on that, he said I could have it if I could get it working. The other trek is/was my stepmums, she uses it now again, but my other half uses it more, and it lives with in my garage, so i've kindof adopted that too, The Marin was mine from years ago, my proper half decent MTB for XC riding with mates, now my other half uses it for commuting as it rides nicer than the Treks.
The 98 Klein I bought from egay, after seeing it, falling in love with it, deciding I needed it and getting it for a bit of a steal considering the kit it had, this is what i've used for ll of my riding over the last few years, but it's starting to show. Shortly after I bought that, my old man had a go on it, decided he really liked it aswell and asked me to keep my eye out, low and behold egay turned up another, this time for less than £200, although was nearer tandard than the first, so I picked it up, fettled with it and have used it as a back-up bike since, I think dad's been on it 3 times tops.

Technically they're not all my bikes, but in reality, they live with me, I ride them and maintain them and family borrow them for the occasional.

The Commencal however is brilliant, I've not ridden a modern day bike for years, and as much as I like retro, i'm extremely impressed with some of the new unusual stuff.

Hello from Melbourne, Aus!
Wicked site this, been absorbing as much as I've been able over the past couple of weeks, its all so addictive! I've been a vintage road bike lover for quite a while now, and have the same preference for mtbs... for sure.
at the moment I'm building up a rig remotely (I'm about to move to the states (TN) and plan to ride the transalp next year), and would love any help that you guys might be able to give.
The bike (1993 KHS montana/ritchey P-something) came single speeded so i need to get some gears happening.
here are my questions:
1. in that vintage, were the seat tubes clamps 28.6mm for FDs?
2. the guy i bought it off says it was a KHS, pink and blue, but the serial number is 7828, which seems like a ritchey serial. He is also adamant that the tubing is Ritchey prestige. any thoughts?
3. the fork has tange dropouts, so do i assume its a tange fork and ritchey would have been using their own drops for their forks at that time?
4. I have a single ritchey ring on logic cranks... anyone know where to get a couple more, sliver and vintage?
5. any ideas of the seat post dia that i'm looking for? 26.8, 27.2?
6. the bike came with a first generation paul melvin chain tensioner... i love paul and have some of their/his brakes on my touring bike, is this something i should hold on to?
if it helps with IDing the frame (I want to make sure before spraying it) you can find the listing under completed listings on ebay.com and search for "ritchey white industries single speed" its the white one.

sorry, those questions, on reflection, are pretty bogus.... but not having the bike in front of me is killing me, and truth be known, i'm keen for dialogue of any kind :) anyone else here intend hitting the transalp next year? anyone done it rigid? tips! gimme tips!

oh, and something extra ridiculous about me is that if you google "faux denim lycra racing" you'll find a photo of me and my ex-stumpy :)

cheers to you all,
JP

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back