The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

MynameisCasper said:
I had some fun in the snow today:

Hmmm, that place I think I know from last winter.
But the cornering and fun will really start if you make the setup right.

So my recent eBay purchase a 1997 GT STS 1 arrived today.
Appears to have been ridden little from the lack of wear but has suffered the ravages of time in places.

The stem came off and made way for a KORE one, just waiting for a nice new but retro looking WTB saddle in all black.
The grips have now been swapped out for new YETI ones as the old ones were perished. After doing these things I gave her a wash so I could assess her more.

The rear has a little play in the shock mount at the travel chips but new ones came supplied :)
The cabling is sticky and frayed but as I planned a full strip down that's on the to do list anyway.
The left hand brake lever had been bent in transit, a thick bit if cardboard and some mole grips used gently sorted that out.

The worst thing I have found is the forks. Initially they wouldn't move at all. Undid the top cap adjusters to find the springs were good but the elastomers had turned hard / to dust.
I had to use a lot of force to remove the lower legs and found tons of white powdery corrosion at the bottom of the legs as you'd expect on Judy's. I gently wire wool'd the stanctions and found they were discoloured but managed to get them pretty smooth.
The lower legs are currently soaking in degreaser, but have corrosion under the large wrap around decals so may eventually look at striping and re painting or source another set.

As for the elastomers, I found a lovely new set of Kronos springs for the forks and my weight on eBay in the USA.

The before washing pic

The tyres are okay but the rears going to need replacing for any muddy riding, what tyres do you guys use on these? I have loads of smoke and dart tan walls, but are they too old for 96?

Nice find! Congratulations.

I would ditch the fork and the ugly saddle though. The fork is no good and will never be. Find some nice Hydracoil Judy with a maching color. Thats what I would do. :D

Thank you, the saddle is going once the WTB arrives, will give the forks a go once the Kronos spring arrive. I have 3 pairs of Judy SL's kicking around but one is on SWAMBO's bike and I got a very evil look when I explained I may need them, and the others are earlier types with a bolt on crown and too short a steerer.

I have a lovely pair of MXCD's but think they look too skinny against the bike.

Very nice. I wanted one with the yellow decals but blue for the sts2 for me.

I spent ages agonising over a fork and went for a new fox in the end and swapped out the lowers for v brake versions. If it were me I'd change the chainset to something tidier too, I've got some m952 ones I'm going to sell soon if you are interested.

What seat post is that btw?

If you fancy convert g the rear to an air shock I might have something too.

You might want to consider upgrading the bushings to bearings, betd do a kit but it's not cheap but does make the bike better if not slightly heavier.

Again thank you for the kind words.

Funnily enough I was just looking at both your GT build threads. The Fox forks seem to go very well with the frame, would love a set of FSX's but despite looking have yet to get my hands on a pair.

I used to have an LTS DH and upgraded the bushes to a set from BETD so that maybe something I do in the future, spent too much money on this already so that'll have to wait. I've just purchased a second super deluxe as a spare, to help future proof the bike a bit so thanks for the offer of the rear air shock but I will pass for now.

Intend to use this during the winter so not too worried about the worn crank arms but tempted by your offer just the same ;)

Almost forgot to say it's an Adventure Components (AC) seatpost.

Rarest of the rare : 2 pics of a prototype push shock for the GT LOBO of Karim Amour, in 1998 :

16161210629_db7de62a25_z.jpg

16346516592_6a9d92971d_z.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Re: gt sts dh

have recently got gt sts dh bike 96 stamped on bottom so 97 model, so i wanted to convert to more of a cross country bike so i replaced the chainset m739 shifter brake combo xt m737 rear mech xt m739 compact front mech . on the chainset it has 22 32 42 and a xt 8 speed cassette,

so anyhow the chain is bridgeing over the front mech ,even at the lowest position possible, (it would not work at the lowest position anyhow because it would hit the 42) so is it possibe to fit say a 24 or 26 ring (i have never had to do anything with chainsets before so unsure )

are the rings bigger in diameter which would lift the chainline ?
if so would they be enough clearance near the rear bottom pivot ?
or am i missing something thanks darren

Re:

I have the same issue with a 1996 proflex.tried everything,3 diff. front der. but still get the chain rub when in the small chainring.have you tried it when riding? the 20mm of sag at the rear end maybe enough to keep the chain from rubbing(???).

I had the same problem. The sag on the rear end solved the problem, off the bike it does still sit on the front mech in the granny ring. I think i switched front mechs too o one with the low clamp if memory serves.

Back