The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

You couldn't buy this one - I had two ;) This one's a keeper.
Started assembling rare brake and wheel - it all fits nicely :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkIgqmgfeg[/youtube]

Hi All

Have finally got my STS-1 built up, but found an interesting issue. When I actually sit on the bike it seems to shift the gears at the back. Essentially the shifter can be on the biggest cog at the back, yet the rear mech is on the smallest cog.

What is happening? Is it that the cables are too short (maybe the linking outer between the frame and the rear triangle)?
If it is cables how do I go about changing them over without losing the cable routing?

Will post up pics when done, but it is no where near as nice as a load on here.

Cheers
Graham

I am just figuring the cables out myself. I am currently building my frame and one of the cables fell inside the frame. Once I had the cables all through the frame I just had to replace them and was facing the same difficulty as you are right now.

What helped me is degreasing the cables properly with brake cleaner. Then add a long stretch of tape and then tape the new cable along. Then gently pull the cable through the frame and voila!

Good luck!

Re:

@Graham: It sounds like a gear cable issue, but put some pics please. Does the cabe routing look like similar to mine?

Will try to get some pics up. My rear cable is way tighter between the frame and the swingarm.
I have a suspicion it might be that the section of outer is too short.
Mine has got internal routing.
Will try to post up a pic in a sec

Apologies for the crap focus on the bike.
Phone camera isn't that good, and the thought of cropping a dslr pic down to fit on here was more annoyance than I could deal with tonight

Attachments

• STS resized.jpg
    STS resized.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 317
I think i can add to this in the form of a hope No2 caliper .There is one in my stash with GT stamped into it. The one i have was part of the experiment to create a floating brake for the lts with a 12mm bolt through(more likely the lobo). It has brass bushings fitted to it,im guessing stop it from binding and i think ive the bolt rod too :? and theres a remote possibility that the proto 2 piece bolt thorough axle for the ti glide might actually be part of this system although it came from a different source to the caliper :shock:

Im down on the camera front and still havent got around to getting a replacement. Soon as i do ill post up a pic of the bits.

grahamt1980":12m7x4lf said:
Phone camera isn't that good, and the thought of cropping a dslr pic down to fit on here was more annoyance than I could deal with tonight

Yes, I think the problem is that you don't have enough slack in your cable/housing and when you compress the rear suspension by sitting on the bike, it affects to the lenght of the cable housing and by that to the rear derailleur adjustment.

grahamt1980":2nf0aj9n said:

- cable hosing to short
- chain is to long
- the back of the bike stands to high

I build the exact same model for my bike partner 2 weeks ago :p

Back