The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

I am in the process of restoring my LTS thermo. Everything seems to go well but I saw that the inner cable housing wasn't there anymore. All there is, is just the inner cable. For me, this seems to be a problem because I do not know how to replace the inner cables.

Does anyone here have a tip for me?

xam1":1zfhj348 said:
Hi, from Finland! New STS-frame owner here! Frame is from year -98 and size 16". Rear shock is RS SuperDeluxe but the innards of it is quite rotten, so I may have to replace it. Also have to start getting parts for complete bike. So this is a starting point and I'm looking forward to build this fine project! Feel free to comment and offer me parts for sell to my new project. Cheers, Sami

Update to this thread too, project builded up quite nicely.

Buildthread here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=291780

MynameisCasper":1fwo9ffr said:
I am in the process of restoring my LTS thermo. Everything seems to go well but I saw that the inner cable housing wasn't there anymore. All there is, is just the inner cable. For me, this seems to be a problem because I do not know how to replace the inner cables.

Does anyone here have a tip for me?
This is officially a pain. I had the same issue with the internal cable routing on mine. All I can suggest is trial and error. I succeeded using a wire coat hanger bent to shape to fit from one end to the other. Once I got it through, I can't remember if I taped some cable to one end and pulled it through, or I used some of that cable sheath tubing and pushed it along the wire until it was all the way through.

If it's anything like a Klein then you can thread the middle of some fishing line inside the tube make a loop inside the tube. Then push the gear cable through and into the loop and pull it through with the loop.

Anybody running a disc on the bolt-on IS mount for LTS/STS, what size rotor fits? I'm wondering if I can run a six bolt rear hub and IS mount 160mm brake on an IS-mount seatstay assembly instead of the Formula standard rear on my STS-DH which seems can only run a 140mm rotor without hitting the chainstay.

Has anyone got a copy of the fitting instructions for a betd bearing upgrade kit? I removed one from an lts and am looking to fit it to my sts once a few replacement bearings arrive. It looks straightforward enough but don't want to get it wrong and want to knkw the torque settings, plus whether the kit for an lts is the same for an sts due to the slightly different way the original bushings are fitted/held on.

@Rampage and Ishaw, thanks foryour comment. I have found some old Gore Ride On cables. I have foubd the inner sealing and I am going to give that a go.

ishaw":2163ljkb said:
Has anyone got a copy of the fitting instructions for a betd bearing upgrade kit? I removed one from an lts and am looking to fit it to my sts once a few replacement bearings arrive. It looks straightforward enough but don't want to get it wrong and want to knkw the torque settings, plus whether the kit for an lts is the same for an sts due to the slightly different way the original bushings are fitted/held on.

Here you are: http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/technical.asp

Lovely, many thanks. Any idea of the torque settings?

Also, want to check/confirm that the top linkage kit is ok to use. As I'm sure all sts aficionados know, the lts has an external bolt that tightens the top pivot assembly to a spacer bar that the bushings pivot around. To my knowledge, an sts doesn't have one of these (though it may be hidden from view, I've not taken mine apart), instead from the outside at least, it looks to have the same style of mounting as the main/bb linkage. The betd site and manual claims that the fittings/kits for an lts and sts are the same, I'm just struggling to figure out how the top linkage kit doesn't move around as it isn't held in by anything other than the pushed in roller bearings.

Hi there !

I am building a lts 96, the frame looks pretty good.
Putting roadtires on it to keep that way.....

Greetings from Holland

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 300
Back