The grim sound of carbon road bikes

We had a giant the other day had 2 sleeves of foam hidden in the downtube to hold and quieten the gear cable and rear brake hose - but at 3 years old, it would just split as you ran the new outer through it. wtf??

We had a giant the other day had 2 sleeves of foam hidden in the downtube to hold and quieten the gear cable and rear brake hose - but at 3 years old, it would just split as you ran the new outer through it. wtf??
More than once I've got towards the end of a build and then had the slowly dawning sinking feeling that I've forgotten the fecking foam sleeves and it's got to come apart again. It's demoralising, there's nothing wrong with external cables, I'd buy the aero thing if there wasn't a fecking MAMIL on the bike, the drag caused by a couple of cables pales into insignificance compared to the rider. Sure it looks nice and sleek with them hidden away and maybe at the very highest levels of competition the marginal gains are worth the aggro but for most it's pretty pointless and bloody annoying from a maintenance time/cost point of view.

Does anyone else find the sound of an oversize carbon frame with deep carbon wheels repulsive?
I saw a couple today - one racy, rider in team style kit, cubist aero headgear, Sagan glasses, the other gravelly with funny shaped bags hanging all over the place, rider mostly wearing rapha with a teal pisspot helmet and wayfarers
🙉
I was gonna say, it sounds like you find the sight of them repulsive until you posted this...
The deep wheels make a kind of unmusical hum, like a groaning noise, and the big frame cavity is a sound box amplifying this and all the other noises.
I suppose if you fit a hope freehub then as soon as you stop pedaling you won't hear anything beyond an enormous devilish screaming🤣
Each to their own, but I want a quiet bike - not a noisy one.

Joking and cabling issues aside, I will declare that I like my Trek Domane running Bullet 50mm deep carbon wheels: I promise it's relatively quiet and deceptively quick. However, I do like riding my Tommasini Tecno Columbus EL-OS framed bike even more, though the Eurus alloy wheels have a 'distinctive' Campagnolo freehub -which at least acts as a warning to pedestrians who are, more often than not, walking on the wrong side of the road in Cheshire. Both bikes soak up the UK road bumps and pot holes as best you could wish for and that's my priority- a comfortable fast ride. Enjoy yours!

That's true though - some are quiet and fly smoothly up hills in an almost unbelievable way. I've ridden a few and they were an absolute delight.

Mostly said Cinelli, Cannondale, Cervelo, Mercxx, on the side.
(None said planet x😉)

I think the sound makes me think of their disposability and plasticness, but I'm not seeing that the cheap ones make the worst noises - it seems to correspond to frame tube diameter and rim depth.

Last edited:
Surely this is the answer for jangling internal cables and for those pesky cracks in carbon frames.....all problems solved for just a few quid....

Probably has twice the strength of a far east carbon frame...

Back