What is the maximum tooth sprocket you could fit on the back using a Deore DX rear derailleur?

Show us the pictures* and we, well benjabbi can tell you.
You have techs, I mean 'bike engineers' on tap.

Also you mech, is it brand new as I forget.
If not, these mechs or at least the M770 become floppy quite quickly and this destroys shifting. I spent ages once thinking I could get away with that and it just kept not being right.

Have fun and learn from everyone.

All the 9sp stuff is fine.

*this is now also a close rear view looking at the mech in big-small and small-big. There should be no real angling inwards of the cage,
I tried to get pictures earlier but my camera did not work with this new machine.

Not much to see different from the images manic posted earlier. Just a jockey wheel close to the cassette!

I know very little about the history of the bike so just have to guess with what is in front of me. I would guess not new.

I’m 80% convinced that this member is a sock puppet account for an established retrobiker who’s become bored/jaundiced with the scene and enjoys a good wind up! 😆
(And before you cry “smelt it dealt it” - I promise it’s not me!)
You're not on your own, has crossed my mind a few times

I'm running an old XTR mid cage Rapid Rise 9 speed derailleur with an 11-40t 8s cassette. I used a longer B screw. I had previously welded up a 2/3+2/3 slightly longer hanger out of 2 stock ones, but it broke in a parking lot incident. It worked also. But on a 26" urban bike I like to keep the derailleur up away from curbs as much as possible. This is not my pedal bike, but a 1500W mid drive Ebike conversion. So it's definitely been tested. The mid cage works due to the 1x8 Ebike setup. But I run the same 11-40t range with a much smaller chainring on my 1x11 pedal bike. Modern driveline on an older bike there.

Last edited:
Back