Switching from rapid rise to regular

gmjgreg7

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
:?:
I have a rapid rise derailleur on my Saracen bike and it is fair to say that I can't get my head around the difference between it and the regular derailleur on the other bikes that I ride regularly.
It's a lovely sweet changing unit that I'll be sad to not be using any more but it's caught me out a few too many times so it's time to switch.
My question is: is it just a straight swap to any other 7 speed derailleur or are things more involved?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
A friend has a couple of derailleurs lined up that I might be able to borrow on a long term loan
* model numbers are RD-AT20 (Altus) & RC-MC21 (couldn't spot that anywhere on google)
Greg

Straight swap providing you don't fall foul of cable pull ratios between shimano/SRAM.......any shifter just pulls a cable, what happens at the back is just down to the mech.

I have a bike with rapid rise and I keep telling myself I like it, it's hard to get past decades of inbuilt intuition though isn't it?!.......

feetabix":38icymdc said:
Straight swap providing you don't fall foul of cable pull ratios between shimano/SRAM.......any shifter just pulls a cable, what happens at the back is just down to the mech.

I have a bike with rapid rise and I keep telling myself I like it, it's hard to get past decades of inbuilt intuition though isn't it?!.......

Cheers for that.
I'm currently running an LX rear mech so hopefully ratios won't be an issue :)
-Greg

gmjgreg7":pfgyk8bh said:
:?:
I have a rapid rise derailleur on my Saracen bike and it is fair to say that I can't get my head around the difference between it and the regular derailleur on the other bikes that I ride regularly.
It's a lovely sweet changing unit that I'll be sad to not be using any more but it's caught me out a few too many times so it's time to switch.
My question is: is it just a straight swap to any other 7 speed derailleur or are things more involved?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
A friend has a couple of derailleurs lined up that I might be able to borrow on a long term loan
* model numbers are RD-AT20 (Altus) & RC-MC21 (couldn't spot that anywhere on google)
Greg

Finally got around to switching the rear mech last night. Was relatively straight forward, despite the replacement being in bits! Went for the 'RC-MC21' which, now its cleaned up, turns out to be a RD-MC31 (STX Special Edition). Had to steal the cable tensioner from my rapid-rise LX mech to get it working but once it was all greased up and together it tuned up very nicely and didn't miss a beat on the commute this morning. I did notice that the way the mech is sprung seemed to keep better tension on the chain, overall very pleased.

Back