Surface rust removal..Orbit America

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have been given this Orbit f&f plus wheels that are in vgc other than the surface rust shown in the first two pictures. I have spent a couple of hours cleaning it with fine wire wool and solvol autosol and it got a lot of the rust off and looks much better but has left a very fine pitting and staining as shown in the other two pictures. I could live with this and a regular coating of wax polish, or possibly a clear coat spray but am wondering if there is a way of getting rid of this staining.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    891.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    624.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0161.jpeg
    IMG_0161.jpeg
    693.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0158.jpeg
    IMG_0158.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 27
I'd think you've got two options, depending on if it's actually rust on the paint, or staining from the rust. If it's rust then you could try something relatively benign like Bilt Hamber Deox Gel, cover it and wrap in cling film to stop it drying out, clean that off once it's done the job and then wax it. Or, if it's just staining then a fallout remover like Bilt Hamber Korrosol should do the job.

Magnification of the last picture will show probably the worst pitting on the frame and it is very small spots of rust on the frame. I may try a rust remover gel as you suggest. I have never heard of the gel you recommend, but is it different to the Kurust gel rust remover?

Yeah, it's much better than kurust (their lanolin based anti-corrosion waxes beat waxoyl hands down too). Bilt Hamber is used a lot in classic car restorations and I've used it for years in that world. They also do stuff called Deox C which is basically citric acid crystals that you make into a warm solution and soak parts in. For a frame the gel is the better option unless you have several kilos of citric acid and a bathtub! You can mix up citric acid crystals, wallpaper paste and some water to approximate the Deox Gel but if you've not used it before I'd just get the gel so you know what you're aiming for it to be rather than going in blindly.

! You can mix up citric acid crystals, wallpaper paste and some water to approximate the Deox Gel but if you've not used it before I'd just get the gel so you know what you're aiming for it to be rather than going in blindly.

I've used the following formula with success in rust treatment and it works. Cheap enough to make in bulk but yes, the shape of the frame means creativity needed if you don't want to make gallons.

Formula is:

1lt water
100g citric acid
40g sodium carbonate (or 63g of bicarbonate of soda)
a good squirt of washing up liquid to make it stickier

If you live near a branch of The Range that should all come in at less than a fiver - and you can make loads of the stuff.

Caveat - this was for bare metal. I think it inevitable you're going to harm the paint with this formula, but it certainly works from a rust killing POV.

I gleaned this all from here -

(No, I am not a gun nut)

Last edited:
Back