Suntour freehub, hub and cassette HELP!!!!!!!!

Marcus W

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a Suntour hub on a Ritchey Vantage rim. The hub has the markings 'SUNTOU GI' and the cassetts is non ...glide???? Anyone know what these are?

The freehub is bolted to the hub but you remove the allen bolt via the non drive side of the hub - so the bolt goes all the way throught the hub. See the long bolt in the pics.

The freehub / hub splines are not shimano compatable???
The freehub cassette splines do not seem to be shimano compatable???

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cassette from the freehub?
Can anyone tell me if I can get a shimano 7 speed cassette on to this hub in any way???

Attachments

• P1000321 (Large).JPG
    P1000321 (Large).JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,306
  • P1000315 (Large).JPG
    P1000315 (Large).JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,306
  • P1000317 (Large).JPG
    P1000317 (Large).JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,306
You need to unscrew the top (smallest) cog, the cassette will then come off the freehub body.
You might find this operation easier with the whole thing fitted back onto the wheel. I fear that using two chainwhips as it is will cause the thing to fly in your face and remove a chunk of flesh if you are unlucky... :shock:

Says he who ripped a hole in his knuckles removing a stuck Shimano cassette yesterday evening... :oops:

The freehub / hub splines are not shimano compatable???
Correct

The freehub cassette splines do not seem to be shimano compatable???
Correct, though you cannot see them as the cassette is still on the body

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cassette from the freehub?
Last cog is screwed on, so use a screw on method. (two chain whips, can be quite hard to get the little buggers off)

You cannot. What's wrong with the Suntour one.

thanks

thanks,

the rest of the bike will be xt 7 speed and need a hyperglide cassette.

Can you buy any sram or suntour ones that fit that freehub that have hyperglide teeth compatable for shimano gear sets?

very grateful for all advice so far.

Re: thanks

Marcus W":1f8fyz1u said:
thanks,

Can you buy any sram or suntour ones that fit that freehub that have hyperglide teeth compatable for shimano gear sets?

technically you can fit a PowerFlo freehub body and its cassette and they'll shift almost as good. But the spacing is different though the slack in a thumbshifter and shimano mech might make it work. Still not as good as just getting and M732 rear hub and a Shimano compatible cassette or probably as cheap.

an idea

Do you think you could dismantle the suntour freehub and put the outer section from a shimano onto the suntour inner?????

the best thing you can do is to get some shimano hubs and rebuild your wheels, or just get some different wheels it will save you a lot of time hassle and money in the longrun ! otherwise i might know of a 7speed microdrive freehub and cassettefor sale that look like they would fit your hub, couldnt be sure tho :?

Re: an idea

Marcus W":8ioc8zii said:
Do you think you could dismantle the suntour freehub and put the outer section from a shimano onto the suntour inner?????

No.

Much easy to buy a M732 hub (if keeping XT) and rebuild the wheel if the rims are the important part.
Probably quicker too.

Re: thanks

FluffyChicken":3ula9rsu said:
Marcus W":3ula9rsu said:
thanks,

technically you can fit a PowerFlo freehub body and its cassette and they'll shift almost as good. But the spacing is different though the slack in a thumbshifter and shimano mech might make it work. Still not as good as just getting and M732 rear hub and a Shimano compatible cassette or probably as cheap.

In so far as is known only the smallest two cogs have larger spacing on a suntour cassette all the rest are the same. The spacing between the lowest (smallest)3 cogs on the suntour is 5mm center cog to center cog, the same as a shimano 7-speed cassette. However, the spacing between the 4 largest cogs is 4.5mm so it is .5mm narrower than the shimano. Thus in order to make a 7 speed suntour cassette shift perfectly with a shimano derailleur you would have to re-space the 4 larger cogs by .5mm.

Back