Stuck Seat Post - Slide Hammer Loan Request.

That’s the thing he doesn’t want to use heat because it might damage the frame, he’s already soaked it in plenty of rust remover, or something of the sort. He’s already drilled a hole through it so the post is already a write off, and he’s tried using the frame as a lever and it still hasn’t worked.

Instead of expanding the seat tube with heat, contract the seatpost using ice, that should work.

If not brute force will help a bit, but for something like this you have to use strategy, in this case either the rust or corrosion has grown so much it has fused the tube and post together depending on what material there is.

@Trebz are you sure you don’t have any pictures because that would help a lot.

If all comes to a loss you’ll either just have to live with it or have it drilled out. Or just have the seatpost man remove it for £79
Even though if it comes out with cold water youll have that £79 to spend on a new seatpost!

I’ll post some pictures tomorrow gents. Might be after 8PM.

For those of us who are now scared witless any of our posts ever get stuck like this, I assume with a bit of grease or copper slip this never ever then happens right ?

Just regularly check your seatpost for rust and you should be fine, my seatpost is a bit stiff but that’s just because it’s stiff, even though I’ve got very little seat tube to slide it through (full suspension mountain bike)

I use copper slip on all of my bikes and regularly take the post out to clean and re lube it. This frame is new to me and other than the seat post it's beautiful.

Last time a stuck seat post thread came up (every few months) I bought a pack of these, which I assume should do the trick on seat posts, bottom brackets and the likes.

705C47F8-810D-4A2C-81DF-535F9A155842.jpeg

Last time a stuck seat post thread came up (every few months) I bought a pack of these, which I assume should do the trick on seat posts, bottom brackets and the likes.

I bought a tin of this about 15 years ago, so far I've used about a quarter of the tin. Bearing in mind I have about 10 bikes and regularly service the bikes of other people as well. I use a little on all crank spindle bolts, pedals, seat posts, bar stems and the likes. Worth it's weight in gold as it saves bikes. If the previous owner of the Pace frame had used a quarter of a gram of copper slip we'd not be having this conversation hehe. I mean jeez, even a squirt of GT85 every few months saves a bike frame.

Somebody asked
Frame - 7000 series T6
Seatpost - 7075 T78

There is a lot of welding at the top junction, this is a PACE frame, they apparently crack.

I've not been mega brute force with it yet, I have levered in the frame with a rod through the post and in a vice/workbench. But it hadn't budged. So Trebz is soaking for a long time.
Tried breaking the seal hitting post back in to frame etc.

This is fun though :)

A pic of another bike, but to give none pace people the idea

Screenshot_20221019_154015.jpg

I’ve removed my fair share of seized Seatposts using various methods. Usually on frames I’m not too fussed about but sometimes nicer stuff.

It’s one of things that everyone is a expert in and thinks ‘their’ method is the best so I’ll refrain from any method advice apart from show you how it’s done properly.

Pace frames literally crack from nothing as many know. On FB the other day a guy was showing his newly purchased RC200 off on its first ride up until I pointed out the new crack in the headtube which he had suffered. The Pace owners group is literally full of cracked Pace frames and twisting one whilst the post is in a vice will likely end in tears.

The reason the Seatpost man and others similar are worth the money is they use a system like I’ve linked below. No fancy methods just directly pulling the post out perfectly straight. No twisting or anything which will likely crack a brittle frame.

I did look into having a tool made the same but I’d need to remove a lot of posts to pay for it and decided it wasn’t worth the grief of trying to sell my services as he does.

Back