Stripping Quadra 93's

DEAN C.

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi,
Found and read the manual and partially stripped my 93 quadras just before looking at the manual(as you do).
I have realised that I will have to completely strip my forks just to fit new second hand rubber boots!!! Trust me to have the most awkward model!

Any way my question is? What is equivalent to Judy butter (grease?)

As I have now to use something to re lube everything once I have it stripped down. Hopefully the seals will be ok when I have it fully apart. The elastomers look new and this bike has never been off road so I am hoping for the best.

Any advice welcomed. I have a stock of lots of different spec greases and lubes etc(30+ years in engineering) so just need to know what the hell Judy butter is?Obviously non Lithium. :roll:

Thanks in advance,
Dean

I have a set of Quadra 5's and some 21R's, I am going to get some of the Pace RC7 fork grease.
Don't use Castrol LM grease as I once did, the elastomers "melted" within no time :roll:
Or, get some Lizard Skins neoprene fork boots, Velcro on/off for easy access & cleaning.

Thanks,
I didnt know about the Lizard skins as they sound interesting,but I am trying to get her back to as original as possible.I will have a look though.

The forks inside are very dry though and could do with some lube.

Castrol LM - Low melting point grease will have lithium in it.
I do have a few different types of very fancy greases in stock though from other special engineering jobs over the years, so I was just trying to find out what it was. (I had my own little engineering business for quite a while.)

Dean.

Ah, if you are striving for originality then perhaps neoprene fork boots are not suitable, but the Quadras DO need fork boots as there is bugger all in the way of sealing really. It may be worthwhile having a look to see if other fork boots would fit the Quadra's, perhaps from a Rockshox Indy or Judy?

IT's fork lube, I can link to plenty on chainreactioncycles.
But it's usually a slippery none lithium based grease.

http://www.rocklube.com/super_slick.htm
Is what I use and rebuild many a forks. MCU, Elastomer and air/oil all done, even rebuilt hope ti-glide/mono pawl using it and it work ace for that, slippery, and quiet Hope's, win win.

Best thing to do would be to measure the OD of the Upper legs. Im sure Quadras uppers are smaller than Judys. Looks like Judys are 28mm OD, if the Quadras are the same, you could pick up a parts from a nackered Judy, Ive seen a fair few on ebay, but it depends how much you value your forks?

I take it he has some?

Anyway, quadras are 1" sanctioned. Same as their counterpart high end MAGs but not the Judy

Hi,
thanks again for the replies. Yes I do have some spare rubber covers bought from a wanted ad on here thanks.
I will try and pick up some decent fork lube over the next few days but finding a decent LBS is not that easy nowadays around me(East of Doncaster). I could try Rustys in Scunthorpe as I work there during the day.Failing that I am in Hull on Monday so I believe there are a couple of decent shops there.
All the decent shops from my youth are gone now. I spent many an hour drooling through H O Smiths in Doncaster saving for my next part of my Carlton Clubman build in the late 70's. :cool:
I did go into JE James in Sheffield the other week and they were quite helpful but thats 30 miles away and not anywhere near where I work.

I love this site already and learning all the time. :cool:

Dean.

jimo746":20m6j8pu said:
but the Quadras DO need fork boots as there is bugger all in the way of sealing really.

Yep I know the result of grit and fork stanchions.
I now work in engineering training, but my speciality is Hydraulics and Pneumatics.
I am an ex Marine,plant and transport mechy fitter. ;) so I have worked on lots of fluid power gear and taught it.
I still need plenty of advice from you lot though as bike forks are a different game and some of these early forks seem to be of a more basic design.Bouncing on elastomer rods was not what I was expecting to find! :LOL:

Crude but simple.Thanks for the help to a newbie.

Dean.

FluffyChicken":3pezhxnv said:
I take it he has some?

Anyway, quadras are 1" sanctioned. Same as their counterpart high end MAGs but not the Judy

Think I missed the point completely!

I used Rockshox Judy Butter bitd, but apparently its changed? Ive since bought some Pace grease, it looks similar, but this seems to be getting harder to track down, Im thinking this is being discontinued?

Back