Sony Walkman! (other brands are available)

I used to have one of these It weighed the same as a house but I got it after I'd broken about three at school and my parents got me this. I didn't brake it, but its probably because I was so embarrassed by the yellow I never took it to school.

Attachments

• Sony_Walkman02.jpg
    Sony_Walkman02.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 327
One of my last projects at Hewlett Packard was working on the DAT digital audio tape project (still have a tape somewhere) that never took off.

My oldest one now is a Sony mini-disk. Surely they will all be collectable some day?

I only have a tape deck in one of the Pajeros now, wife uses her MP3 thingy through the radio but I have played some old Zep tapes I hadn't listened to for a while.

Felt very nostalgic when there was a bit of wow and flutter.

:)

pavement":2iauftx3 said:
One of my last projects at Hewlett Packard was working on the DAT digital audio tape project (still have a tape somewhere) that never took off.

I've still got a DAT recorder that is n perfect order. They were never cheap which was a problem and the record companies hated the fact you could transfer CD's with next to no compression. Had a long life unprofessional audio though.

Tazio":xa72iudp said:
pavement":xa72iudp said:

I've still got a DAT recorder that is n perfect order. They were never cheap which was a problem and the record companies hated the fact you could transfer CD's with next to no compression. Had a long life unprofessional audio though.

There was no compression. Sampling rates for CD is 44.1, DAT was 44.1 or 48kHz, higher quality than CD could ever dream of. DVD is 48kHz. There was some two channel DVD that was 192 kHz. Blu-Ray is 96kHz

DAT was as good as reel to reel. Reel to reel could record high frequencies of up to 28kHz whereas CD has 'brick wall' filtering that stops anything above about 20.5 kHz. 48kHz sampling gives frequencies up to 22kHz.

Hi resolution DAT (96kHz) was one of the best methods of recording until hard discs took over. Now you can have just about any resolution you want if you have the disc space.

You listen to a live brass band then listen to a recording of the same event - despite the human hearing supposedly only 20Hz - 20kHz, we can detect much higher. The recording will sound flat compared to the live event.

Home Hifi is just one compromise after another and your head will pop if you try to sort it.

I had a Toshiba like the one pictured here. It had a digital tuner and clock, a 3 band graphic equaliser, Dolby B, anti-rolling and auto reverse. :D

Attachments

• Toshiba.jpg
    Toshiba.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 242
I never had a walkman, don't think they were around when I would have bought one, if they had been around. Girl called sally used to
carry a music maker around with her, bright orange plastic thing. I am tempted to buy this one on ebay;-) Go an sit in Dorking rec and listen to dark side of the moon, except summer 1973 was nice and sunny, well thats how I remember it.
$T2eC16ZHJG8E9nyfoTqqBP8gqq8COw~~60_12.JPG

Back