So its really muddy, what do you ride?

Re:

In England an old steel Kona filled with Finigans, Project11s, Gusset Single Speed kit and hand me downs from my summer bikes. It rode everything except when the V brakes jammed with mud/chalk/grass.

In Spain an On-One Inbred 456 built as a long forked hardtail with 1 x 10. Again it's a spares bin build.

The best advice I ever read was to spend a weeks wages on a winter bike, anything more and it will be too precios to use and any less and you are short changing yourself.

Re: Re:

munkey_bwy":1cb1p4fs said:
I ride the same bike muddy or dry.....the Pace.

Right answer! Although there's not a huge amount of clearance between forks/stays and wheels. Mine used to get bogged down in the Essex mud by the estuaries during the wet, but at least it's light enough to drag to drier areas.

A quick hose down, a clean and then a lube and I'm good to go. My boots, however, never recovered.

Re:

You've chosen the wrong sort of mud. It's not the bike, nor the tyres: it's about the mud. I ride the right sort of mud for my bike.

It's taken a few years, and I've had to move house on several occasions -- and try a number of different counties: but I've got the right mud for my bike now.

It's Oomsca: gruelly, pissy mud with a substrate of marl, given a little mettle through the addition of sheep splat and cellulose organics.

As you can see, barely legal tyres, chainstay-mounted roller cam, sorry-ass mudguard, brittle hubs and an unsealed headset, yet I'm just dandy.

IMG_0711

IMG_0710

IMG_0712

Choose your mud.

My 29er kenesis ff29 with geax sagaro tubular tyres copes with mud better than anything else I have ever ridden.

The tyres in this are challange ones tubulars truly awful. The offer no grip in the mud (raced them last winter at Thetford and it was a slippy experience) and they are jot even round.
My old Scott racing pro with its skinny mud tyres is a slow,lumbering dinosaur in comparison and this is a good bike by the state dad's of the nineties.

I ride the same bikes year round, that's what they were designed for :xmas-big-grin:
Used to change tyres but can't be arsed to do that anymore.
Just ride :xmas-cool:

Back