so i started a bike shop. update 31/07/24

ok so i thought it was time for another little update as i've been in the new place a while now.

so first thing, the move doesn't seem to have affected the takings, still basically the same as previous equivalent times of the year, that said obviously there is a bit of a downturn, we all know the reasons, covid, after covid issues, under stock followed by over stock, cost of living crisis, so many things going on that affect everything for everyone, this week currently looks normal financially, last week was saved by a bike sale, the week before was below average but not bad as such, but there is money in the bank as i've been trying not to spend, the plan is normal winter plan which is basically try to trade the next few months on the stock i have and only do minimal orders, this means that hopefully i turn stock in to cash, usually this means that over the winter the bank account actually looks better, then when the trade shows come in the spring i can go there with money to spend.

basically i'm not worried, which is positive compared to what has been happening elsewhere in the trade.

so what else have i been up to? well i wanted to brush up on fork and shock servicing from Fox, when i did my training course a few years back it was based around Rockshox, the instructor told me if you can do Rockshox you can do Fox, that is basically true but what i have noticed over the years is that there are specifics to each brand, subtle different amounts of grease etc in different places, tips and tricks that help with bleeding cartridges etc, anyway, this meant a trip to Silverfish in Risca near Newport to get some training specific to Fox.

Luke was my trainer, he took me through Fox grip 1 and 2 forks and air sleeve cleaning , much more than this you can't do without some serious investment in tools which 1, i can't afford and 2, i'd never make my money back as there isn't the demand locally. Luke also showed me around the whole facility including the warehouse and parts storage, the oragnisation of the spares gave me a OCD orgasm! everything has a place, everything has a part code, you could not organise the parts and store them better, it was heaven!

i meant to take more pictures but didn't here's a few

fox cutaway and see through shocks:-
fox1.jpg

fox2.jpg

fox3.jpg

fox4.jpg

then i bought a bunch of tools and spares to bring home, hmm . . . money was spent that day!
foxtool.jpg

foxtool2.jpg

also got a message about tyre recycling, apparently i have managed to recycle 125kg of tyres this last year or so.

rubberrecycling.jpeg

also had this little kids bike in with some really cool converted manitou forks, apparently they were done by Finlay Patton. the customer had no clue, i think she though i was odd by being quite excited about them, i showed her the facebook post on the golden era page with over 100 likes and then she was oh ok it's cool then
minimanitou.jpg

also built this for a friend, a propain downhill bike, it looks weird in this poc as the shock isn't fitted and it has a strut thing in itto stop the frame and swing arm hitting, it was built singlespeed as it pretty much lives at Dyfi bike park and Bike park Wales so frankly it doesn't need gears
propain build.jpg

i also might have built myself a new Orange Stage Evo, yes i finally went 29er, i feel like i have been pushed in to it by the trade, because i feel like there is less development on the 27.5 stuff, anyway, here are some pics of the new weapon.

stageevo1.jpg
12 speed AXS drive train, i'm not a fan of Sram but i wasn't happy with the 12 speed XT shift on either of the 2 bikes i have it on so i thought i'd try it, i think the shift is very good but i keep hitting the wrong button and shifting the wrong way, it's a learning curve thing, although i know you can switch the buttons around if i reprogram it but i think it's more just the position of the buttons is so different from a shimano reapid fore that i'd make mistakes either way! rest of the drivetrain is Hope
stageevo2.jpg

DVO forks, really like these, very plush, i run them on most of my bikes now
stageevo3.jpg

DVO shock, this bike is normally 120mm, with this shock it's 130mm as the stroke is longer, doesn't cause an issue as it still clears the seat tube on full compression
stageevo4.jpg

running Hope Tech4 X2 brakes, rev grips, USE Ultimate bar with a Pembree stem
stageevo5.jpg

Pembree stem and Hope headset
stageevo6.jpg

Interesting Manitou forks. If i still had access to machine shops i would have a go at converting some 80-100mm travel forks to short travel forks, for 26" rim brake wheels, and try and fit/copy over some modern valving.

Fantastic thread going way back. I only recently logged back into retrobike after many years away (far too many). Jon your documented journey is excellent within this original post. I will continue to check in and read your updates on the continual success and challenges you have. Aw the best from Scotland.

Last edited:
That Orange….. is it just me, or does anyone else think it looks like the evolution of the Santa Cruz Superlight?!?

Back