so i started a bike shop. update 31/07/24

Hey Jon, sorry to hear about your Mum, try to remember the good times and stay sting for yourself and Dad.
Have to come over sometime, been too long, Tim

cheers for the comments guys, when mum is on a good day she's not too bad, she forgets words a lot now, for example she mentioned my van but couldn't think of the word so she said "lorry", and the other day she got so angry about what was being made for dinner that she actually punched the door in the lounge, whic was a real shock as that's new, and the fact that door is part glass she could really have hurt herself. it is very worrying but it's part of life and we all have to deal with it as best we can.

@hamster, tuesday to saturday 9am to 530pm, jaffa cakes, digestives, the ones with "nice" written on them, kettle is always on!

so here's a little update as promised of a few things

i built myself another new Orange, the 5 evo, i only changed it because i felt i should change from the traditional swing arm design to the newer design, i spent several days on it in Wales in early september and i really like it, it's only 130mm at the back but i left it with the 150mm fork up front as most of this spec is from the previous build, anyway here's a pic!

orange5evo.jpg

i also decided to build myself a gravel bike, took me a while to decide what to go for, i chose the Kona Sutra, frame only and built it with a more silver style build for a more classic look, next thing i know it's on Kona's dream build page, which was cool

konasutra.jpg

i also got to service a really nice old Flying Gate from a regular older customer, he has also decided to have a new modern version built so he's asked me to supply a modern campagnolo groupset for it as well, and it';; be a silver groupset as he saw a modern Gate built with black components and he hated it!!
flying gate.jpg

i'm also selling quite a few Exposure lights, and this is what you get with the 6pack model
exposurelight.jpg

i quite often have friends pop over in the evening, i get on with most shops in the area so there's quite a lot of "hey Jon have you got this xyz? and if so can i have it?" which is fine by me as i know those people would do the same for me, so quite often i stay late to fix bikes and tell people to pop over, when Gary from GA's comes over he usually uses it as an excuse to get the Goldstar out!
goldstar.jpg

here's a pic of the front of the shop, including my Alpine6 and my MTB hopper ramp,
shopfront.jpg

that's about it for the moment, today was a nice day, the shop was quiet but a load of people picked up their repairs so even though i didn't do much the till got fed! anyway i'll try and take a few more pics as and when interesting stuff comes in and keep you up to date with any changes.

also please remember that you guys are welcome to pop in if you are local, or just happen to be local on that day, kettle is always on, and there's always a bit of a deal on if any fellow retro heads want something, happy to post stuff as well so it's always worth a call.

Great to hear it’s still going well. I don’t suppose you have any Maxxis Shorty 29 in 2.4 or 2.5 width? Hens teeth, I know.

Sorry to hear about your mum. I fear mine is going the same way. 😥

I love that this thread, and your shop, has been running for 5 years. Is this a record? Thread that is, not the shop. Glad it's going well, quite fancy it myself.

@My_Teenage_Self yeah maybe something for next summer

@Doomanic i keep Maxxis tyres, but that is a rare one to get asked for so i am afraid i don't stock that model, probably got minions or high rollers, maybe assagai's can check tomorrow if you want anything like those

@eightyeight cheers, yeah overall i'm happy in the shop, i'd say do it but it's hard to make a good living, i do ok, but i don't have a house yet, and that's my realistic goal

so here's a little update as promised of a few things

i built myself another new Orange, the 5 evo, i only changed it because i felt i should change from the traditional swing arm design to the newer design, i spent several days on it in Wales in early september and i really like it, it's only 130mm at the back but i left it with the 150mm fork up front as most of this spec is from the previous build, anyway here's a pic!

View attachment 581107

i also decided to build myself a gravel bike, took me a while to decide what to go for, i chose the Kona Sutra, frame only and built it with a more silver style build for a more classic look, next thing i know it's on Kona's dream build page, which was cool

View attachment 581108

i also got to service a really nice old Flying Gate from a regular older customer, he has also decided to have a new modern version built so he's asked me to supply a modern campagnolo groupset for it as well, and it';; be a silver groupset as he saw a modern Gate built with black components and he hated it!!
View attachment 581110

i'm also selling quite a few Exposure lights, and this is what you get with the 6pack model
View attachment 581111

i quite often have friends pop over in the evening, i get on with most shops in the area so there's quite a lot of "hey Jon have you got this xyz? and if so can i have it?" which is fine by me as i know those people would do the same for me, so quite often i stay late to fix bikes and tell people to pop over, when Gary from GA's comes over he usually uses it as an excuse to get the Goldstar out!
View attachment 581112

here's a pic of the front of the shop, including my Alpine6 and my MTB hopper ramp,
View attachment 581113

that's about it for the moment, today was a nice day, the shop was quiet but a load of people picked up their repairs so even though i didn't do much the till got fed! anyway i'll try and take a few more pics as and when interesting stuff comes in and keep you up to date with any changes.

also please remember that you guys are welcome to pop in if you are local, or just happen to be local on that day, kettle is always on, and there's always a bit of a deal on if any fellow retro heads want something, happy to post stuff as well so it's always worth a call.
Where's the shop btw?

Back