Slick tyres

Scwalbe City Jets 1.95. quite big and heavy but V Strong

DSCN2108.jpg

DSCN2111.jpg

Luxortion":2szaibrk said:
I like the michelin 1.4. With a hint of grooves would be perfect.
Im worried about the slide factor in wet. Any thoughts??

Any tyre can slide in the wet, all depends how fast you go and how far you lean. Things like the metal drain covers and sometimes road markings will make the tyres slip no matter what, so avoid these.

As you want a commuting tyre l'd factor in puncture resistance too?
I chose City Jets as they were pretty cheap, had some good reviews, and should cope with wet & dry. If money was no object I would have chosen Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Vredestein S-licks are my favourite.

Can be found sometimes in amberwall and cool colours

Nicest slick i've seen , performance great too

@TedC How did you solve the cable stop (dog collar) on your AA to run V´s?
Is it drilled?

Just bodged it with a short length of outer and a 135deg noodle. See pic below.

I should probably do something to reduce wear on the collar - but as it may go back to canti's at some point, didn't want to drill the collar unless I had to - the larger diameter ones for the alu framed bikes are getting harder to find with every week.

Attachments

• IMG_8673.jpg
    IMG_8673.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,444
Luxortion":wa1phcc3 said:
They didnt last very long, the sport contact. I was actually a bit disappointed with them.

:shock: :shock: been running these for 3 years, 14 miles a day, 5 days a week, cant praise enough :) :) changed after normal wear and tear, go through a pair every year give or take :) :)

Ernie ;)

the_duke":18jmxk87 said:
I have 1.5 maxxis detonators (kevlar) which are light, fast, and have a hint of tread on the leading edges. I find them very grippy and a great tyre for commuting.

You git....they were mine :cry:

Maybe I should give the contact sports another go, liked the feel of them. Just bought some Ritchey Tom SLick, wanted to give them a try. But guess Ill need some quality tyres soon.

If you want to go fast and fancy a narrow profile conti grand prix are ace, I also like Hutchinson Top Slicks having acquired a pair for my winter bike although they don't have any water shedding grooves. It hasn't been a problem so far though :)

If you want something a little wider City Jets pretty much offer the best price to performance factor in my opinion ;)

Luxortion":1upn0f4d said:
I like the michelin 1.4. With a hint of grooves would be perfect.
Im worried about the slide factor in wet. Any thoughts?
If you'll be running on hard surfaces like asphalt or concrete, grooves won't help in the wet. Tread only helps if the tyre can dig into the surface it is rolling on. Bikes don't aquaplane.

Back