Single-speed Montage or boring commuter bike?

There was a stiff link (it's the one I had to attache and now realise that I bent it a little!).

I decided to clean it, and oil it. It's still 'jumps' on hard pedalling but it's better; hopefully enough for testing comfortable ratios.

Thanks for the advice!

Good stuff... to be honest, the clue was in the original post... chain snapped/fixed

If it were me, I would just spend a few quid on a new chain

G

I will get a new chain but my thinking is to give it a few days to find a single gear ratio/speed I'm happy with. Then I'll get the chain along with whatever else I need to convert the bike.

I've cycled TO work easily enough but hope it last's long enough to get me home!

Well, after a few days of experimenting with different gear ratios, the chain broke again! I think I've found a setting I'm happy with but now I'm starting to have doubts…

I'm confident a single-speed would be fine for my commute, but I've started to take the bike out at lunch time and in the gear setting I've settled on, some parts of the uphill journey are pretty tough, and the longer stretches leave me spinning a bit.

There's a C2W scheme at work that would allow me to get a bike for not much a month (and some servicing) and I'm debating going for that instead (and giving the Raleigh to a good home).

What do you think?

robjwood":2rl2zk2c said:
Well, after a few days of experimenting with different gear ratios, the chain broke again! I think I've found a setting I'm happy with but now I'm starting to have doubts…

I'm confident a single-speed would be fine for my commute, but I've started to take the bike out at lunch time and in the gear setting I've settled on, some parts of the uphill journey are pretty tough, and the longer stretches leave me spinning a bit.

There's a C2W scheme at work that would allow me to get a bike for not much a month (and some servicing) and I'm debating going for that instead (and giving the Raleigh to a good home).

What do you think?

Tough one.......Its difficult to get a compromise with a Single Speeder unless you are a hardened rider, it amazes me how some of them take their SS steeds on all manner of Cross Country Trails and Gradients. I've seena few 1 x 8 set-ups making an appearance on the trails, seems like its a no frills option if you want to retain simplicity.

The C2W scheme is a great option if you want a bang up-to-date bike that will give you all round pleasure (£1000 will get you a lot check out the reviews in MBUK, MBR Magazine) Sadly it will mean you break away from the Retro Community, unless you keep the Raleigh as a weekend classic ride.

If you need to shift it there are plenty of riders who would offer it a good home (Me included) got a soft spot for Raleighs and owned several over the years, sadly none in the Man Cave right now.

Anyway,

The Choice Is Yours............

Jussa":1fcuou90 said:
..... it amazes me how some of them take their SS steeds on all manner of Cross Country Trails and Gradients. ......

"Chris King"
Always in the wrong gear :LOL:

G

robjwood":2y3qzpxt said:
I've started to take the bike out at lunch time and in the gear setting I've settled on, some parts of the uphill journey are pretty tough, and the longer stretches leave me spinning a bit.

That's the whole point of singlespeeding! :cool:

Uphill you will get stronger, fitter and learn to resist pain more when the only other option is walking. It's a brilliant way to force yourself to work hard, kind of like a Royal Marines Sergeant shouting at you... :shock:

Downhill and on the spinny bits you will learn to pedal faster and more smoothly.

Do it. You won't regret it. I went over 4 years ago and a singlespeed is now my first choice to ride...

Thanks once again for the responses.

I have to admit, I'm pretty emotionally attached to the old Montage and would like to keep it going. Also, although my knowledge of bikes is fairly limited, I think it's still in pretty good nick apart from a few rusty parts (which I can replace) and the knocks and scrapes on the frame (which are all part of the character).

While I'm on the subject, I've noticed that the ride is pretty hard. It's fine for the smooth roads but on rutted paths and the like, it's pretty bone-jarring. Aside from reducing the tyre pressure a little, is there any benefit to getting balloon tyres?

You certainly get more cushioning effect from fatter tyres. Something like 2.1s should fit and be better...

...and man up! :LOL:

Ha ha! It's getting older that's the problem. I'm not 16 anymore and I haven't even been tempted to try a wheelie or endo yet.

Back