Single speed, I just don't get it?

what VELO ,PICKLE & PHIL says

great fun and a great way to give an old unused bike a second life

i have 5 s/s in the shed

I'd forgive singlespeed if every bloody auction I saw on ebay didn't have fixie, FIXED, SINGLESPEED, solo etc after it.

It just comes across as some silly little fashion accessory for trustafarian stripy sock wearing students.

yeah but that's hybrid roadie coffee bar stuff not a dirt bike

build your own don't cost much

go to tip/charity shop buy anything cheap in a 21" plus and s/s it
paint it beige/taupe or some other shit colour and bay it for a healthy
profit

build a nice s/s bike for your self with the proceeds

Mr Footlong":pm2tjo2v said:
. I couldn't cope without my gears as I like to be able to go up pretty well everything as fast as possible.

unless you change the way you think, you'll never understand it.

i used to think they were stupid as you will seldom be in the right gear.

now i ride singlespeed, i find that riding gears you are nearly always in the wrong gear.

i FEEL that i ride faster on my singlespeed than when i ride a geared bike

okay I am going to ask something stupid.

Why not just leave your multispeed in one speed? I know there is a weight difference but what about all the other factors?

drag through the jockey wheels, chain slap, noise.

also YOU know that you CAN change gear

it's just not the same

tho that seems to be how i ride a geared bike nowadays

s/s just seems to be more plesant than geared when your in the mood for
it ,tends to turn you into a hoolgan tho ,racing everyone where appropriate ,up hills ,tight single track etc
dont take them on a big fireroad/moortop ride tho as you'll get dropped quickly ,but for woodsy trails nothing better imho

mikee":3687p85i said:
tends to turn you into a hoolgan tho ,racing everyone where appropriate ,up hills ,tight single track etc
dont take them on a big fireroad/moortop ride tho as you'll get dropped quickly ,but for woodsy trails nothing better imho

Couldnt agree more.

In woodsy singletrack they absolutely fly.

They're good for climbing too, as you fall into a nice rhythm and just keep going.

On the fireroads and road links forget it, yourspinning and dropped! :LOL:

It might be nice to have another gear or two in your back pocket at those times. :)

Pickle":3hebvqpx said:
mikee":3hebvqpx said:
tends to turn you into a hoolgan tho ,racing everyone where appropriate ,up hills ,tight single track etc

Couldnt agree more.

In woodsy singletrack they absolutely fly.

They're good for climbing too, as you fall into a nice rhythm and just keep going.

On the fireroads and road links forget it, yourspinning and dropped! :LOL:

Doesn't float my boat I have to say. Had a go on my pals single 29'er and it felt like I was riding a BMX! :LOL: He (beavis) loves it though.

My way round the weight issue is to buy a lighter frame. ;) :cool:

Back