Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

Dyna, lockdown is screwing with us all so don’t worry about it. Velo has had his fair share of meltdowns at us over the years and we all know how easy it is to bash away at the keyboard in frustration in the heat of the moment.
I don’t agree with him on the motorbike, too many ongoing costs and hassles. I think the right ebike is perfect for what you need. As you’ve said, you saved hard to get the money together and it is a scary amount to spend in one go. You don’t want to get it wrong and regret it.
Make a list of what you want/need it to do, then write out each bike and how it compares. For me the Focus undeniably looks sexier and has a better spec, but the Scott comes ready with rack, guards and lights and will be more practical. I’d take it over the Scott, but then I use bikes for fun not as a means of transport and utility.
It’s the same with cars. Boring family estate or hot hatch. Same kind of money, but the hot hatch will be quicker, look better and more desirable. Not much use though if you’ve 3 kids, a dog and a wardrobe to move. (not that I do, Jesus, one kid needs way more crap than any 3 foot tall thing had any right to). Sure you can squeeze the kids in the back and chuck on a roof rack, but life is just easier with an estate.
My rambling point is, there are no perfect bikes but there is a bike that’s perfect for you. Only you can decide which, we’re just here offering a bit of advice.

And well said. You're right though, im looking at the bits but forgetting those important things like the mudguards, which for Scottish weather are a must, and the prefitted rack rather than the topeak add on, which requires fitting and costs 80 quid, the lights which themselves are expensive, so I suppose adding those together its near 300 quid that I would have to shell out over and above.

And fettling is fun and a part of what I enjoy so maybe a year along Ill have money to maybe upgrade the fork or such, and my own brakes im sure will eventually find their way on. Its just we're all use to seeing the big names associated with mtb, and im sure the others are acceptable as they are fit for prurpose, or they wouldnt have specced them.

I'll thjink again, and probably now chose the scott, and place the deosit to ensure the XL he's got coming in becomes mine.

I think just the extra freedom it will give will more than make up for the long wait for the focus(Maybe late summer) plus the extra saved on the rack etc.

Meltdown is partly due to a paypal login problem, where I couldnt log in due to some new regulations and it was looking last night that i would have to close ebay/paypal accounts. Thats happily sorted, but it was weighing very heavily over the last 2 days, especially as its the source of income for the spares. trying to sell it all without those services put much in jeopardy, and along with the current health issues has left me feeling vulnerable and in need of something to hold on to. I thought it was th efocus, but I can see now that the scott is just as good.

Not needed now. I've pretty much decided to go for the bike with them prefitted, and while not ideal as you say, more an add on to suit a market, but probably good for me in the long run.

Thanks for the replies all the same :cool:

OK back to bikes and riding our shitty bikes :)
Today was the first day in a while it looked like it might stay dry and so in between trying to get things out the loft to finish building the Mercian tourer for Brians big gravel ride next weekend, finish cutting and putting up the shelves in Calebs room I managed to slip out this afternoon for a couple of hours rolling around the country side on the Jack Taylor.
Lockdown has put a bit of a curb on being able to, and wanting to travel too far from home which means the large majority of my rides lately seem to be local. This means finding new routes etc to try and keep it fresh. Which is what I did today, I got to one point in my ride where on a nice quiet stretch of laneway I just thought ' what is up that dirt track straight ahead, rather than turning left?' as is usual. This led to a great shortish but steep climb up a gravel track that eventually just went to a radio mast. It was a great trying to race up this gravel and mud climb with out standing up as then I would wheel slip. The roads were damp and muddy being we've had so much rain and the farms are all working overtime getting ready for winter. Seemed to dodge the rain in a few places as would see it ahead and then find the road in front of me sodden but thankfully I managed to stay completely dry.
The Super Clubman was it's usual superb self. I can't express how nice this is to ride, so relaxed and comfortable.
Hope everyone else managed to have some decent weather and managed a ride.

Jamie

IMG_4246 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4247 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4249 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4250 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4257 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4259 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4266 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4265 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4270 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Due to a very hectic week at work this week I didn't manage to get the Mercian ready for Brians Gravel Ride with the Highland Classic Bicycle group today. That meant that the trusty Jack Taylor was taken instead. The perfect bike for the job.
Due to the wet and wild weather this week we both knew that this was going to be a pretty sodden affair, but Brian had enough back up deviations to cover us if any sections were flooded or too boggy.
I left home around 7 am and made it to Brians just after 9 where we had a quick cuppa, I got changed in the van and so with bikes sorted we headed down to the Dingwall meeting place for just before 10. We ended up with about 11 or 12 starters, some new faces for me and some old friends not seen for a while. With everybody being respectful of personal space and observing social distancing we got a quick group photo and headed on our way in a couple of small groups and a few stragglers. (me)
Brian picked a great route that was about 95% off road and a lot of it was really muddy and slippery and while I had 33mm tyres, they were fairly smooth and 'exciting' on the clay sections that had a few inches of water sitting on them. Amongst this we had a good few hard steep climbs as well, so a bit of everything.
Despite the showers and the mudfest as well as a slow speed off from myself it was a great day out with a warming coffee and bacon roll about 2/3rds round at Strathpeffer. From there it was back to Dingwall on the usual tracks, only they were, like the rest a lot more flooded than the last time we were here.
A great day with great company. Thanks Brian.

Jamie

IMG_4280 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4278 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4283 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4285 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4289 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4295 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4298 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4302 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4303 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4311 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4319 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4323 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4327 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4332 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4338 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

A proper "gravel" ride without a single "proper" gravel bike that the industry believes we should ride. Jealous as usual, here in teir 3 getting out in stunning landscapes is tougher but I've got my ROG Sport single speed working now so plodding down Muddy single track is a future possibility ;)

Back