Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

Did a road ride today as it seems that with this lockdown thing the local trails and paths near to me are teeming with families and headphone wearing zombies at weekends, the roads however remain relatively quiet.
So I took the Giant CFR out for a proper shakedown ride, a loop through the countryside to the south of Aberdeen.
It's no lightweight (22lbs iirc) but goes well enough, and I was impressed with the stopping power given it has some very old looking Aztec pads in there... Just as well, as on a few of the descents I was topping 40mph and praying that the old bonded frame held together until I reached the bottom :shock:

Attachments

• Star Trek.jpg
    Star Trek.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 307
  • _20200425_170409-01_copy_2076x1396.jpeg
    _20200425_170409-01_copy_2076x1396.jpeg
    761.6 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_0518-01_copy_1238x1719.jpeg
    DSC_0518-01_copy_1238x1719.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 307
Re:

Sounds a bit like round here. Cycle paths full but roads quiet. Seen more people walking and cycling than I ever have. Mates runs and reckons Carnoustie golf course was busier last weekend than it was during the Open.

Seen some right sights when walking with Logan. Badly fitted helmets, bikes that haven’t seen the light of day (or oil or a pump) for years.

Re: Re:

clubby":31jot47b said:
Seen some right sights when walking with Logan. Badly fitted helmets, bikes that haven’t seen the light of day (or oil or a pump) for years.

I didn't realise Rob rode around your neck of the woods? :LOL:

Good to get out and especially while the roads are quiet.
Jimo that CFR is one fine looking machine, I bet it handles and rides as well as it looks :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2dy5b6d9 said:
Good to get out and especially while the roads are quiet.
Jimo that CFR is one fine looking machine, I bet it handles and rides as well as it looks :)

Yes, it's a better bike than I am a rider :LOL:

Today it was the turn of my other road bike, the Cannondale Silk Road, to get an outing.
This time I went north of Aberdeen along some of the quieter country roads, then back along the beachfront. The weather was overcast but warm, until the heavens opened when I was 5 minutes from home and got caught in a hail shower :facepalm:

The bike was fine, the headshock got a proper test when what I thought was a B-road on the map turned out to be a rough farm track instead, Brian would have been proud of me :LOL:
Oh, and I must change the 11-19 :shock: 7-speed cassette, after putting a few miles in my legs yesterday I found some of the hills a struggle today with the 52/42 up front as well. Roadies in days gone by must have had legs like tree trunks!

Attachments

• DSC_0514-01_copy_1914x1190.jpeg
    DSC_0514-01_copy_1914x1190.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 253
I managed to get out for a ride this afternoon, though weather wasn't great up here today at all with it being quite overcast and showery. We could see it raining in different parts around us but we only had a shower at lunch so managed to get out on the Merckx later on. Didn't go too far just out towards Groats direction back near to where we used to live and then doubled back along the coast.
Decided to take the Merckx out as it has been a while since I rode it and with chatting about it in a few other threads this week I was itching to ride it. It didn't disappoint as usual. It is such a sure footed quick handling machine and still feels as it always has in that it is a race bike, not a tourer or randonneur, which is more my style these days, but a bum up head down racer.
It was good to get out and while I did have a very close pass from an arsehat of a taxi driver, who I will find and tomorrow in town, it was good to be out.
Hope you are all safe and well.

Jamie

IMG_2843 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2848 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2851 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2853 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Good to see you getting out guys.
My rides have been restricted to local pootles with the trailer. Still good to get out and amazed what the trailer can handle.

Also been pottering away with a non bike related project.
When I was a kid the local newsagents had a hobby shop in the back. Used to lust after the Tamiya RC cars but was never allowed one. There's been an ongoing thread on Singletrack about them, and with lockdown in effect it's had a resurgence and a load of middle aged men who should know better have been indulging their inner 12 years olds. If you can't beat them, join them.

Some assembly required by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Chassis by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Paint and body by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Paint and body by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Finished by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Finished by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Build was really enjoyable, the design that's gone into it is amazing. Proper oil filled shocks with adjustable preload and damping shims. Even got a miniature diff with proper sun and planet gears. Research into it was also good fun, very easy to get sucked down the You Tube rabbit hole. Spent a good few Sundays just browsing internet crap about them.

Reminds me a lot of the mtb world. Basic kits are pretty reasonable.........then you add on the electronics............. then do you really want the standard battery......... why not get a bigger one.......... and a faster charger............ bearings kits are better then than the standard bushing...........ooooooh, blue anodising........

Have drawn a line at the anodised parts, so far. :)

Still to get out for a proper shakedown test, feel a bit self conscious with it in the garden with all the neighbours home. Luckily it should fit in the luggage compartment of the wee mans trailer and there are lots of empty dirt car parks at the moment, plus an entire championship golf course :LOL:
Under no illusions I'll use it all that much, but kind of feel I've got my moneys worth already and it's scratched a very old itch.

Re:

That is freakin awesome Clubby!!
Three thumbs up for that constructive use of your time :)
Starting to wish I was on lockdown myself now ;)
I always used to see the Tamiya off road beetle in my local toy store when I was little, well littler.
Always out of reach, pocket money wise and shelf wise ;)

Jamie

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":djl9raxw said:
I always used to see the Tamiya off road beetle in my local toy store when I was little, well littler.

Originally had that one in my basket, but left it overnight to think about it and it sold out. Probably just as well as the kit was 3x price of the one a went for, because it alloy rather than plastic.
Then again, it is my birthday next month.

Thankfully with my work I’m not locked down.
I just sneaked an hour or so at night once Logan was asleep.

Re:

Oh that’s even cooler that you haven’t even got the lockdown excuse :)
For me it would always be the Beetle one, maybe that was the influence when I was younger that got me interested, well it was seeing the real baja bugs racing on the old Amaroo park dirt track when I was a kid.
There’s a model train shop near Brian’s that we have taken Caleb too, as that’s what he is really into, and in the back section I have seen several times that there is two of them on the top shelf. :)
Can’t be as expensive as this train malarkey! Holy crap! I’d be better off if collected Colnagos or something.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back