Show us what you did today, thread

I've had a bit of a lay off since the 'Puffer when I unwisely rode when I shouldn't. It got to the stage I was wondering if my legs still worked, so the obvious thing was to grab the shopping/audax bike and go for a gentle pootle on quiet roads.

I thought I'd recce a route for a retro road ride with a wee bit of gravel thrown in for interest.

However Jamie knows how my road rides go...

Oh look, that path looks interesting!

Mmm, it's getting more interesting

Getting too interesting .

A wee hike a bike and a nice gravel track, not interesting enough to stop on, and ended up here.

A monument to bad driving in 1823

Then it was climb a fence on to the main road. Nah, too boring, so into the woods...

Lots of nice forestry roads but a stiff climb followed by a nice descent on rutted gravel

The lads have been busy...

Buggered if I was going to climb back up the hill and with a bit of luck some of the track would still be there

It was there in spirit but a wee bit tricky to ride on this bike

And it got worse

And it got better

And betterer...

But when it gets better, somehow it's not interesting enough to take pics. :)

The route (in yellow). Only did about 18 miles, but about 1,000 feet of climb in there, so at least my legs are still working. :)

Re:

Brian, I wondered what happened to you and Jamie at the 'Puffer.....but didnae want to ask...
That mess where they've clear felled the trees is kinda like what happened on Benarty. Feck aff big machine tracks that make the trails/paths unusable or at best a pain in the arse tae ride.
The single-track in first 2 pics certainly does look interesting though.

As fer you other bams, standup comedians you are not. Ye need some new patter. :facepalm:

:mrgreen:

Re:

According to a hillwalking forum I look at now and again they have done exactly the same thing on the Pentlands. Destroyed well established paths with the logging machines.

I don't mind the mess the logging machines make, but I'm usually on the fatbike when I ride on their tracks so it's a challenge rather than a hike a bike.

I like the way the views open up once they've been in, and then watching the young trees grow over the ensuing years.

Re:

The extensive felling on Benarty and the more recent smaller area in Blairadam has destroyed quite a few MTB trails. Hawmaw saying the same has happened to paths in the Pentlands too. On Benarty the massive gouges across hillside caused by the machines are everywhere. On Benarty they damaged/made unusable lots of the access footpath from road through forest to the open hillside and another at other end of hill too.

These paths have long been there, are marked on maps and are part of the Core path system in Scotland that are also marked on council maps. I understand it's a business and it's not possible nowadays to fell trees without muckle machines but for these paths not to be protected in some way or the FC made to re-instate them to maintain access is wrong. MTB trails are different though as they go feckin' everywhere and there are more of them so it is understandable some will be lost.

Paths re-appear if there are enough people walking them like on Benarty but that is made much harder by the long, wide lines a foot or more deep separated by a few metres of the branches that are cut off trees when felled. This detritus ends up tangled like barbed wire that is very hard to walk over never mind take a bike. They know the lines of paths on map so taking a machine along line to clear it the FC should be made to do before they feck off. For people to be encouraged to get out and walk but then to find they are having to try to walk across what looks like a WW1 battlefield defeats this.

And breeeaaathe............. :facepalm:

Nowt better than a wee rant in the morning. Fair gets the blood warmed up. If I wiznae a crabbit auld basturt life widnae be worth living. :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

old_coyote_pedaller":1y56psws said:
Nowt better than a wee wank in the morning. Fair gets the blood warmed up. If I wiznae a dirty auld basturt life widnae be worth living. :mrgreen:

:shock: :mrgreen:

Back