Show us what you did today, thread

Velo, I bought a wee unidentified soft tail off here a while back, it might be a good next bike if your lass gets keen. It is stripped and ready for painting, I know how much you like the painting!

If I can find the elastomers I will throw it round to you for a look, you need more projects!

;)

Had planned a retro ride, so I had one. Took the new steed round my local loop followed by a stop at the farm shop to try out their new ice cream machine. Best raspberry ice cream ever. It take Mackies vanilla and mashes in fresh raspberry straight into the cone. Also picked up a little something for later.

Untitled by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Since I didn't get to do the reveal in person, it's time I came clean about the new ride. It's all Klaus's fault, as he posted the link to ad. To be fair I had fancied and early Marin or Kona for a while, one with a u-brake. A pair of Bear Moutains came up locally not long ago, but the one in my size had canti's both ends, so I passed on that. However a few weeks ago, an 89 Kona Fire Mountain came up for the princely sum of £100. Guy was honest about the condition, but it was original apart from tyres and the STI units which had been upgrade to Deore DX. Lots of chip marks, but with the splatter paint job they'll be easy to hide if I feel the need. Spokes are pretty rusty, so wheels may need rebuilt in the future but thats all. I've changed to hybrid tyres that were on it for a pair of narrow Bonty's I had paying around. I'd really like skin walls, but am not paying £80 for a pair of smoke/dart when the bike was only £100. Original foam grips were brick hard and ironically had not actually grip, so I've put a pair of ESI chunky grips on which look the part. Apart from that all I've done is grease the front wheel bearings and stick on a pair of vintage SPDs.

Rides really nice, once you get used to your knuckles touching in the middle of the bars and the biopace rings, so pretty happy.

Untitled by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

(my first) u-brake.

Vintage Kona by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

First year of the P2 fork.

Nice buy. Was that the one in Edinburgh?
For some reason I've had a bit of a fancy for U brakes the last wee while. How did it shape up on the ride?

Re: Show us what you did today, threadt

That was it. Guy helps run the bike shop in Portobello, so apart from the dry front hub it was spot on. He'd replaced all the cables, so everything was adjusted and working perfectly.

Rides nicely. Short top tube and narrow bars feel "different", but all good.

Not today, but yesterday I pulled the El-Mar out the shed. Since I stuck the gears on the shifter position was a bit rubbish. The shifters I had (Deore :oops: ) didn't sit well with the Hope brakes, so I got some SLX shifters and Hope clamp mounts. It's all a lot better now. Much cleaner bars and the shifters a lot easier to get to. I think they call it ergonomic! :LOL:

And here is how she is looking now.

And one from the ride.

Attachments

• IMG_0991w.jpg
    IMG_0991w.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0994w.jpg
    IMG_0994w.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1008cw.jpg
    IMG_1008cw.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1002c.jpg
    IMG_1002c.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 185
Clubby and Barry, both rides looking great :)

My 88 Stumpy had the U brake and it worked great, not that I was hard on it, but it never gave me any problems. It seen a fair bit of use that machine and the U brake and rim worked great and lasted, regardless of condition. The Splatter job looks great in blue, so used to seeing the yellow.
Salsa looks a beauty as well Barry. Those gears will give you nothing but trouble though ;)

Jamie

Latest posts

Back