Show us what you did today, thread

Re: Re:

velomaniac":q00y95np said:
...Getting a chainring and sprocket that give perfect tension between BB axle and vertical dropout invariably result in a gear thats no use for its intended purpose especially if that use is off road...

Perfect tension is really only of importance to the freewheel deficient rider (except for belts, of course).

Perfect chainline allows a whole host of imperfections, such as less concern over tension. If you use proper singlespeed cogs (ie steel) and good quality chain, adjustment is not really a problem that needs attending to frequently, and can usually be covered by slightly altering the ratios used. Obviously a few spare chainrings and rear cogs help, but most singlespeeders have a selection anyway.

Perfect tension is achievable though with a bit of ingenuity - that's half the fun :)

Here's one I brewed earlier (NB belt drive, so much trickier)

velomaniac":1lqe7zys said:
Takes a brave man to cut up his frame to install a belt. An estay design is better for this as no cutting required.

E-stay - been there :)

Also Magic Ratio. This particular frame was too flexy. To cure belt jump I had to add a snubber - which wasn't needed on the other version.

Also did a Pompino.

You've deliberately damaged two frames just to fit a belt drive. A belt drive that needs to be bought at a predetermined length as they cannot be cut to length for not a huge advantage over the old school chain system which can be cut and adjusted in length. Thats determination and a well padded wallet for you :D Epicyclo, there are few like you and they're all deid ! :LOL:
Keep up the good work ;)

velomaniac":30ii49wu said:
You've deliberately damaged two frames just to fit a belt drive. A belt drive that needs to be bought at a predetermined length as they cannot be cut to length for not a huge advantage over the old school chain system which can be cut and adjusted in length. Thats determination and a well padded wallet for you ...

Nah, it's just Magic Arithmetic at work. Simply buy the right combo of belts and cogs, get to work with a hacksaw and drill, and you're away.

No risk to the frames if you do the job right. :)

As for no advantage, you're probably right. I did this because I wanted to test modern belts to see if they were up to scratch yet. I've been fiddling with belts from way back, starting with V belts on a roadster frame (crap idea :) ), and synchronous belts from about 1995.

However the side benefit of a clean drivetrain that is silent is pleasant.

I reckon a fully enclosed oilbath chain is the gold standard.

I reckon a fully enclosed oilbath chain is the gold standard.
Met an old chap at a bike stand doon the barras at the early bike station stand. He had done just about that. An ex engineer he'd lined the bike(Raleigh i think) with thin hoses to all points regularly being lubed and all fed bat to one small valve where he pumped in the oil. It was pretty remarkable to see and i mind it didnt look too obtrusive.
Looked like he'd kept the paintwork clean with an oily rag as it gave it an old steam engin look :LOL:

Have to say that I'm quite taken with my Alfine 8. Took a few miles to free up in the lower gears but feeling really smooth now. Gear range is a slight compromise, you can have to set it up for either low or high, not both, but between gear jumps aren't too bad.
Tempted by the 11 speed, but have heard it's not as reliable and range isn't extended too much, just smaller jumps.

Back