Salsa a la Carte 1991

JCS

Senior Retro Guru
I wasn’t planning to buy another bike when I saw this for sale.

But you know how certain bikes have an x-factor and capture your imagination? For me this is one of those, and it all stems from June 1991 with Jason McRoy on the cover of MBUK. Such a great photo – an iconic rider on an exotic bike, getting some serious air.

1727524630214.png

Then a few months later the a la Carte was on another magazine cover; Mountain Bike Action. This only added to the allure…

1727524740008.png

March 1992 saw another magazine cover with JMC on his a la Carte:

1727525351914.png

I have never seen an a la Carte in real life. Barely even seen any for sale. They have always been in the American exotica / out-of-reach category.

Then I saw the advert…

The chance to actually own one of these iconic bikes was very exciting….

… so #YOLO – let’s do it.

1991 was a big year for Salsa. Ross Shaefer was inducted to the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame and there was a lot of buzz around the a la Carte.

1727525517562.png

The a la Carte was offered as a frame, stem and fork combination (including Salsa Pro-Moto stem and Bontrager fork) for US$895.

1727525558157.png

So what have we got?

Some of you will recognize this frame – it has been owned by several members of this site over the years.

It is in very good condition. Not perfect, but that’s fine because I will be riding it regularly off road. I don’t want to be too precious about it.

The main event is the frame, Pro-Moto stem and Bontrager fork – a great combination and as per the original package deal that Salsa sold in 1991.

It came fully equipped with a good selection of kit.

The wheels are pretty cool; Nuke Proof hubs as per the original test bike in the US magazines, with Mavic M231 rims.

Other nice touches include the Turbo saddle, XT seatpost and headset, Answer Taperlite bars, Ringle wheel skewers and American Classic bottle cage.

Components are various series of Deore XT, all in very good condition.

1727526001733.png

1727526054234.png

The bike came fully assembled and although I will use some of the components, the first step was a full strip down.
At the same time enjoying a huge high feeling of actually owning something so iconic (to me at least).

1727526269827.png

Aside from the overall great condition, and originality of the stem & fork, another big attraction for me with this bike was the paint scheme - very similar to the bike in the 1991 magazine tests:

1727526329088.png

Congratulations ...

Salsa 1.JPG

'91 Ala Carte ... very good choice !

Had it in black Jellybean ... 100% original & also in fantastic condition ... unfortunately a size to big, but 'll still have a nice Ala Carte in my size.

Built it with Bontrager Comp., CQP F2000 & CQP bottom bracket, Pro Moto A13 & Moto Bar, King no Logo, Ritchey Logic W.C.S. Titanium saddle, black XT hubs, Am. Classic seatpost, Mathauser pads, ... ... ...

Salsa 2.JPG

Salsa 3.JPG

and of course Flip Offs without logos ...

Salsa 4.JPG

Salsa 6.JPG

Have fun & happy trails with your beautiful Salsa.

BEST wishes, Max

Thanks Max.
That’s an impressive a la Carte you had there.
Like a night time version of mine.

Back