Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

I've never really seen the logic in fitting a bigger section tyre on the front than the back. If you ride a hard tail you've got the forks to absorb the hits and the larger volume tyre on the back to bounce on and get more rubber to the ground. Except maybe if your bikes rigid.

Re:

Better grip in corners, more tread in contact as the tyre banks to left or right. Remember a front tyre spends less time than the rear in contact with the ground on its centre tread, more time with its shoulders. plus most forks allow a wider tyre than the frame dropouts so why not ?

tis a far point Rob, also fitting the carbon bar when there's front bounce - tho suspect/plan to ride it rigid one day, so sorta future proofing

Re:

Agree with Velo, plus bigger volume allows lower pressures which gives more grip.
Two new 2.4's sounds like a good plan Gmac. If you did need a faster set up for a particular trip you could always pop a 2.25 on the front and run one of your cross marks on the rear. They're not a bad tyre, just a little small in 2.1 form. Couldn't pay me to run one up front though!

Adaptors will work out cheaper but not by a huge amount, maybe £20-30. Personally I'd do it properly and save money elsewhere on the build.

not at all Rob, had thought about that, and the more potential for movement & flex

as luck would have it 2x RT81 ICE XT/Saint rotors with lock nuts 180/160 just as required, £20 including P&P. 1 year old and have been used on a commuter, mmm, no pics, but took the gamble... will find out at the start of the week

now to sell some stuff

Re:

XD Driver ? WTF ? I had to look it up.
Clubby , you reckon the expense is worth it but how often , if ever , are you likely to need a 10t ? I don't know about everyone else but I have rarely used the smallest cog be it 11 , 12 etc on any bike I've had . I'm never on the small sprocket on the flat and I'm only ever on it when on a fast decent on the road bike. Maybe I'm a weakling but I couldn't turn a small cog for more than a minute or two. Just seems like a gimmick to me and not of any value to the average rider.

Re: Re:

Hawmaw":vfui2ng7 said:
XD Driver ? WTF ? I had to look it up.
Clubby , you reckon the expense is worth it but how often , if ever , are you likely to need a 10t ? I don't know about everyone else but I have rarely used the smallest cog be it 11 , 12 etc on any bike I've had . I'm never on the small sprocket on the flat and I'm only ever on it when on a fast decent on the road bike. Maybe I'm a weakling but I couldn't turn a small cog for more than a minute or two. Just seems like a gimmick to me and not of any value to the average rider.

Fair comments, but are you running a single 32t chainring on your roadbike? With single ring set up you tend to set the front ring size with the lower gears in mind. This tends to lose out on the top end, which the 10t makes things difference.

andy, XD driver I know, lol, it's a bit flux capacitor / hydrospanner

think the wee sprocket will get a bit of use in a 1x11 set up, done a bit of analysis comparing the gear ratios of my 3x10 to those in the sram and shimano 1x11 set ups.

On the sram set up I'd loose the ratio provided by equiv' of the 46 x 11 and the 24 x 36

On the shimano set up I'd loose the ratio provided 46 x 11&13 and the 24 x 36.

Getting older and decrepit, like yourself :), I can happily loose the top gears, tho loosing the granny x granny does make me think, I do use this gear on hill tracks, I even use it on trackless moorland rides... but I'll self justify that with a lighter bike, without a front mech, cable, shifter and a length of chain... it'll be alright :)

at the end of the day mfg'ers come up with this stuff so we buy it, and we all do love to buy bike stuff (as well as ride em, dream of building them, building em, planning to build em, source parts to build them and so on). tho perhaps the reduction in gearing is rider lead, and having 10 or 11 across the back does make a difference to the possibilities... regardless, this is jimmy choos shoes for men, or a cheaper version of that, what ever that is :)

gmac123":2944pohu said:
at the end of the day mfg'ers come up with this stuff so we buy it, and we all do love to buy bike stuff (as well as ride em, dream of building them, building em, planning to build em, source parts to build them and so on).
Exactly :?

Back