Show us what you did today, thread

Had to head up north yesterday, but after the weekends weather was a bit unsure whether to take the bike or not. In the end I chucked it in the car anyway and am very glad I did. After checking conditions with Bothy Bikes, I parked up at Rothiemurcus and headed off to explore some of the trails we'd noticed at the summer meet. Trail conditions were amazingly dry, apart from a couple of small sections near Loch Morlich and alongside the rivers. Even the stream crossings in the estate were no higher than they were in the summer. The weather gods were smiling on me, even the wind wasn't reaching me in most parts of the forest.

Rothiemurcus by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

I had considered heading up to the bothy at Ryvoan, but by the time I'd reached Glenmore Lodge the wind had really picked up and there's not much shelter up there, so I retreated to the visitor centre cafe, before heading back down the cycle path to the car.

I took the Jones out for it's first foray into proper hills and wasn't disappointed. The 29x3 Dirt Wizard on the front was fantastic. Grippy, smooth riding but without feeling draggy. The alfine hub runs away just doing it's thing and also feels like it's bedded in now. The noticeable dragging in the lowest 2 gears has disappeared and feels smoother now. Gearing is still a compromise, it's perfect off-road but on fire roads and descents, it's too easy to spin out. I'd be interested in the 11 speed but I've heard that the gear spread isn't much different, it's just closer ratios. Personally I'm happy with the gaps, but would love another 3 higher gears.
Finally got my pedalling position comfortable. The half link out of the chain has let me rotate the EBB backwards and steepen up the effective seat angle, without having to move the seat too far forward which cramped up the cockpit. The only downside to the bike is the fact it's one of the older ones (I bought it second hand) which can only fit a regular 29er tyre in the back. While the bike rolls really well, the bigger front tempts you to run into stuff faster than you would on a normal rigid and the back can get bounced around and pinch punctures are a worry. It came with a 2.3 WTB Exiwolf, which has been a lot better than it looks, but I picked up a 2.35 Magic Mary in the Merlin sale at the weekend, which is a bit fuller and a lot more aggressive. Hope to get that fitted tomorrow.
All in all I'm loving it so far, even the man at youth hostel seemed to like it.

Really enjoyed my day out, only 3 hours but was really good for my soul.

Yeah, looks and sounds like a great ride Clubby. I find it quite often is those rides on your own just out exploring that make you feel the most contented, and as you say, are good for the soul. But hey, your on a Jones, every ride must feel like that ;)
Sounds great, both bike and the ride. Lucky with the weather as it was gale force here this afternoon. I could barely get across the carpark at work to chase down a sheep trailer heading for a car in the carpark and then had to tie it to a strainer post with some rope. :D

Jamie

Re: Re:

velofrog":1214rorl said:
they could be summer photos, looks like a great day out!! :D

Aye, looks very nice indeed. How far did you get ? As in is it in a loop that rooty pathway ?.

I really like the Jones, a real breath of fresh air into bike design :cool:

Re:

Never seen a Jones before. Didn't know such a thing existed. That fork is a thing of beauty and looks very functional. Rothiemurchus is braw too.

Had a wee cycle here to collect the truck from MOT. It passed - hooray :cool: . Near got blown under a Fergusson's lorry (again). Realised I had a loose BB. Beer and greasy paws the noo.

Attachments

• BB service.JPG
    BB service.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 230
Well, this arrived this morning . A bit of a coup for my collection.

I was surprised on the lack of interest given its all nos :?

Weighs like a brick though :shock: and the rotor wouldn't be out of place on the back of a motorbike it's that heavy duty.

Jamiedyer":kkoynsc5 said:
Lovely Rourke mate :)
Road ride down your way in the new year sometime maybe?

Jam

Thanks Jamie. More than welcome down here any time. But you'll need to go slow. I've said it before but I'm a (old) monkey on a racehorse. The Rourke belonged to a pal that died in a motorcycle accident. His wife gave it to me. He was a proper fit cyclist but now it is in my keeping what can I do but ride it (slowly) and fettle it - having reduced the gearing to something I can cope with on the Lochaber hills :oops: ?

I'm not exactly a young monkey myself and don't worry I am good at going slow. I practice it regularly ;)

Jamie

Back