Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

I'm not much of a Road Bike person, but that Merckx is beautiful :shock:
That's got "late summer evening rides" written all over it :)

I wasn't on a retro bike, but I did discover a "retro" road. It was like something out of a 1930s bike magazine. Single lane, walls, tarmac and gravel, and no traffic at all - bliss. :)

epicyclo":zre6ce9e said:
It was like something out of a 1930s bike magazine. Single lane, walls, tarmac and gravel, and no traffic at all - bliss. :)

I don't recognise it from the picture, is it anywhere up this way? I was out on Saturday for the first time this year on the roadster, great to stretch the legs a bit after being cramped up on the sluggish mountain bike all winter... much better into the headwind on the way home too!

epicyclo":2unkv9fb said:
I wasn't on a retro bike, but I did discover a "retro" road. It was like something out of a 1930s bike magazine. Single lane, walls, tarmac and gravel, and no traffic at all - bliss. :)

Brian have you got a pic or two of the bike? :)

ajm":39z4mzr7 said:
I don't recognise it from the picture, is it anywhere up this way? ...

Aultgowrie loop, crosses the Orrin river.

RobMac":39z4mzr7 said:
Brian have you got a pic or two of the bike? :)

Not many yet. It's an Avanti KISS singlespeed 29er that I had in Oz. My son brought it back for me and I've making a few changes. This is it as it arrived.

Now (excuse slack chain - brand new, needs adjusting)

I'm repurposing it as a road bike.

I've changed the bars so I can use mtb levers which allows more precise braking and allows me to drop the disk one size. I put road tyres on (Schwalbe Big Apples 2.35"). The fork is very rigid so that has been changed for a carbon one for comfort.

It's a work in progress because it's the bike I intend using in the National Audax 400km in July that I have foolishly entered. (Loop Dingwall Lairg Durness Bettyhill and back). The main thing is to get something that will be comfortable and cause no pain for 27 hours in the saddle (that's if I make the whole distance :) ).

I need to get some serious miles on it to assess what further changes are needed. I can do a 120 loop round here at audax pace on SS with its current gearing, but double that distance may be a bit tough so I may go soft and stick a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer hub on it.

I'll no doubt come up with a shopping list of alterations. One priority will be to get it as light as possible but not at the expense of any essential weight, eg I may put a Brooks saddle on which weigh more than the existing one (also good for 120 miles) and mudguards will also be likely.

It's more or less the same setup as my Scandal 29er which I used for the 120 mile Dingwall/Ledmore loop.

Back