Show us what you did today, thread

epicyclo":2hlkewrm said:
The left hand assembly?

Yes, the planetary gear assembly - the planet gears were all rusted completely solid, I got them spinning quite freely but thought I'd give them a further soaking before trying to drive out the pinions holding them in.

It's not from the roadster of course, just a spare I rescued from the scrappy for practice - the roadster hub definitely has issues with 3rd gear and will need stripped. Guessing it'll be wear on the end of the planet gear pinions or clutch, it's perfect in 1st and 2nd... I expect I could use the internals from this hub in the roadster shell meantime (unless the axle length is different?)

If you look on eBay, you'll find brand new internal assemblies come up every so often - usually around £20 tops - so it's not worth doing the repair except to say you've done it, or for the knowledge gained.

AWs came in 2 axle lengths, I think it was 5¾" and 6¼", anyhow there was ½" difference in length, which meant you need to be sure to get the right length indicator coupling. The longer one obviously is ¼" more.

Re:

Ah, this one will possibly be the short version then as it came from a Raleigh Shopper. It'll still be a good source of spares at the very least though - aside from the awful rust which has all cleaned up amazingly well there was almost no wear visible on this hub at all.

I came across a really nice (Ladies) Superbe the other day at a customer's office - it was just needing a little bit of TLC, had all the original bits attached (including the dry cell holder for the lights.) What I couldn't get over though was the weight of it - it felt at least twice as heavy as my CWS!

Ive a Sturmey Archer too :D i knew i had one somewhere and your reference got me to wondering where it went. Mines an AG (though ive no idea what it means) dyno-Three which id assume is 3 speed and the dynamo dated Oct(10) 1955(55)
Not sure i fancy dismantling it though. Are you intending to reassemble this ?

What has to be the best name for anything ?????

Anyhoo a Sachs Driegang is better than a Sturmey Archer..........fact !

dyna-ti":2gg0oixc said:
Ive a Sturmey Archer too :D i knew i had one somewhere and your reference got me to wondering where it went. Mines an AG (though ive no idea what it means) dyno-Three which id assume is 3 speed and the dynamo dated Oct(10) 1955(55)

The AG is basically an AW with the addition of a dynohub - uses the same axle etc. Just be careful to put a keeper on the magnet if you disassemble it.

dyna-ti":3mj9cj3a said:

That's the plan, though I haven't actually done it yet :) Actually it's not at all bad to dismantle; other than the pawl springs (there are only 4 of them and you can work on each one individually) there's remarkably little fiddly about it...

I read somewhere you can make your own pawl springs from guitar strings so might attempt that... anyone else done it?

Back