Show us what you did today, thread

Les it looks like you need a 29.6mm seat post depending on the size of you and the frame 350mm'ish long should be enough.

These charge saddles do look good.

So think i have narrowed my choice down to one of those (probably new), or a bel air (probably used).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Les

Had a look at the Orange Bikes website and discovered the had a FAQ covering the different models of bike and years of manufacture, telling you what size seat posts, shims, and clamps are required.

Why didn't i do that before i posted my stupid questions ? LOL

So together with your help and the info on the website i've ordered everything i need.

Still on the lookout for a saddle. Have made an enquiry about one that's for sale on here, and also browsing Ebay.

Not sure when the bike will arrive yet. I'm expecting it to be sent sometime this week.

Will get some pics up when it's here and i've fitted the seat post and saddle (and crud catchers !!).

Les

les ,there are no stupid questions on retrobike
and even less on macretro

ask up bud and we'll try and help

Hi - from looking at the photo it appears the seatpost is stuck, and if so that could be the greatest challange. Once you get it out (if that is indeed the problem) then the answers to your questions will follow quickly and be easy to address :D Let us know when you take delivery of the bike. If the shim is stuck I think it should be easy enough to remove although it will be destroyed in the process - not a problem.

lesscott":ka99sb1a said:
Hi

I'm new here, but just bought a used Orange P7 (year 2000 frame) today. Never been on a bike for 27 years, since i was a teenager !!

Am doing a Maggies cancer charity Monster Bike & Hike challenge in May. 31.5 miles by bike, then a 41.2 mile walk from Fort William to Inverness in 24 hrs, along the great glen way.

I don't actually have the bike yet, but i do know that the seat post (or shim maybe) is stuck in the frame, so i will have to free that somehow. Don't know anything about bikes, so am after some advice about which parts i'll need to buy. Hopefully one of you experts will be able to tell from the picture perhaps ?

Have had a quick look and it seems to me that i will need a maximum of four parts:-
1) seat post - what width should it be, what length should it be, should it be straight or have a bend in it, what material is it best to be made from ??
2) shim - i take it this is some kind of adapter to make a seat post fit snugly inside the frame. If so, what size should it adapt from / to ?
3) a clamp to hold the seat post in position - what size do i need, what material should it be made from ?
4) saddle - will any saddle fit to any seat post ??

Sorry for asking for such basic info but i am a total beginner. Have done a google to get as much info as i can. Would like to buy the parts soon so they are here at the same time as the bike, or at least know what to buy after i inspect the bike.

Les

Les if the seatpost is stuck there are a few threads on here to help, but the usual solution is to soak it in plusgas (like a good wd40) and clamp the post in a vice and use the frame for leverage. If you don't have a vice you could drill the post right though the side (not too big a hole) and use a metal rod as a lever.

I don't know about P7s but on some bikes a shim is bonded into the frame, I think it is mainly on titanium though.

plumbers pipe freeze and a prior soaking in coca-cola usually does the trick
the coke should dissolve the corrosion and the freeze stuff should shrink the post enough to free it up
build a well around the seat tube /post junction and pour the
coke in it , bluetack or plasticene work well ,leave it for a day or so ,just top it up now and then if it needs it

do not do what most folk do and saw it off flush with the seat tube top

Heres some thing else Les, I see the seat tube has bottle cage mounts, take one out then turn the bike up side down and see if you can get the long straw attachment from something like a aerosol can of releasing fluid then give it a good squirt and leave it for a while, maybe repeat if you like. The fluid will find its way to the seat post :twisted:
Ive done this when the bottom bracket was out and the good thing is you can see if the fluid is making its way past the rust and out from around the seat post on the outside.

The Ken":1kjvl0cd said:
Les if the seatpost is stuck there are a few threads on here to help, but the usual solution is to soak it in plusgas (like a good wd40) and clamp the post in a vice and use the frame for leverage. If you don't have a vice you could drill the post right though the side (not too big a hole) and use a metal rod as a lever.

I don't know about P7s but on some bikes a shim is bonded into the frame, I think it is mainly on titanium though.

I'm sure i seen someone on here (may have been LGF ?) use an old quill stem with bars on, expanded the quill inside the seatpost, used the bars for leverage, handy if no access to a vice.

Back