Show me your early 90's Specialized MTB

rumpfy":hxi6znzr said:
Rob Atkin":hxi6znzr said:
I'd rather have my GT Tequesta than any other bike.

Hahaha! Really? More than any other bike? What if you had to choose between your Tequesta or a Hardrock? :LOL:

Yes, actually. I have several thousand pounds worth of modern bikes I would rather sell than my GT. It's fun to ride, brings a smile to my face everytime I ride it and brings back great memories.
I wouldn't even swap it for your BOTY, because then the bike would be all about the money spent on it, not the fun had riding it.

But people like you just don't understand that. And that is very depressing.

Rob Atkin":vy0ia6k4 said:
Yes, actually. I have several thousand pounds worth of modern bikes I would rather sell than my GT. It's fun to ride, brings a smile to my face everytime I ride it and brings back great memories.
I wouldn't even swap it for your BOTY, because then the bike would be all about the money spent on it, not the fun had riding it.

But people like you just don't understand that. And that is very depressing.

If thats what your Tequesta is to you...then more power to you.

I never said it was about the money. My favorite bike doesn't look like much and its not the most expensive thing out there. I like it because its a well designed, high quality bike that rides amazingly well. Works perfect for me.

I guess what I don't understand is choosing to ride common low end bikes when you don't have to.

Oh, and I sold my BOTY bike...I wasn't riding it. Daniel has it now and its his dream bike (on another recent thread in this forum). Don't slag his new bike too hard, you'll hurt his feelings!

Retroman666":3idjyb47 said:
as a Specialized Hard Rock owner
No one owns a Specialized Hard Rock, they merely borrow it from future generations.

Rob Atkin":3idjyb47 said:
because then the bike would be all about the money spent on it, not the fun had riding it.
Isn't that the punchline to a "fat girl/moped" joke?

rumpfy":3idjyb47 said:
What if you had to choose between your Tequesta or a Hardrock?
Thats up there with Sophie's choice.

pete_mcc":3bc7jsxz said:
Retroman666":3bc7jsxz said:
as a Specialized Hard Rock owner
No one owns a Specialized Hard Rock, they merely borrow it from future generations.

Love it!!

Things that money can't buy:

Me nearly 20 years ago:
6df35146.jpg

Me last week:
3988f7c1.jpg

Recognise that paint job?? :-D

I seriously think that the low/mid end range bikes will go up in value in a few years, as many are destroyed as commuters or "pub bikes" (oh how much I hate that phrase) and they become rarer. This isn't why I keep mine - doesn't matter how much it's worth to me at all, but it is strange that I could buy a Merlin or Fat or Yeti most weeks but it took me a couple of months to find a 92 Tequesta and I haven't seen one for sale since I got it (and I have been looking too - I need an 18"!).

Rob Atkin":2xz01ugk said:
I seriously think that the low/mid end range bikes will go up in value in a few years, as many are destroyed as commuters or "pub bikes" (oh how much I hate that phrase) and they become rarer. This isn't why I keep mine - doesn't matter how much it's worth to me at all, but it is strange that I could buy a Merlin or Fat or Yeti most weeks but it took me a couple of months to find a 92 Tequesta and I haven't seen one for sale since I got it (and I have been looking too - I need an 18"!).

Hahahahaha! Ok dude.

Do we really collect our old bikes for an investment?

So just thinking out loud. For an investment should we buy 1 nice Mountain Goat Deluxe for $1500 or 60 Hardrocks for the same $1500.

Where will the most value be in 20 years? I don't know, probably the Hardrocks.

No offense but I am skipping it all, my extra investment money is going in my pre tax 401K.

I do have a few upper end bikes that I enjoy riding, cleaning, working on, sharing, and admiring...

Enjoy the Hardrock experience. Hopefully your neighbors won't think you are too wacked with all those bikes rusting away in your back yard. .....If you choose the Mountain Goat, enjoy that one conversation piece, hanging on the wall waiting to be ridden, shared or polished when the right time beckons.

Hey Rumpfy wasn't your first mountain bike a Specialized? Being one of the elite few to own this brand, I think you should be flying that Specialized banner high.....

Admittedly, I had a 83 Stumpy once, but the parts were just so nice. Next thing I knew all the components were hanging off an old Ritchey frame. Couldn't help myself. Helping you out with your investment as there is now one less complete Stumpy in this world.

Ductape":115uuilb said:
Hey Rumpfy wasn't your first mountain bike a Specialized? Being one of the elite few to own this brand, I think you should be flying that Specialized banner high.....

My first (real) mtb was a 90/91 Stumpjumper, ya.

When I wanted to relive my Specialized days, I didn't get the same base model Stumpy I had then, I bought an Epic carbon...the one I wish I could have had and built it similar to Ned Overends 90 Worlds bike.

Raise the bar.

Funny how some people miss the point by so far, they end up on a different planet, that or choose to misunderstand/misinterpret another view to support their own POV

Yes we would all love to own some polished, £2000 exotica but to some of us "value" takes on a wider meaning over and above the commonality or price tag. Fond Memories of riding that bike as a kid or rebuilding a bike that belonged to a Father, Grandfather or best friend mean that bike has far more "value" & emotional investment than some £2000 piece of outstanding mechanical engineering that we have no emotional connection with...

If you can't understand and fail to respect this then I am deeply saddened for your loss because you clearly lack a richness of soul that relies not on the financial value/rarity of what you own

Rob Atkin":23xso2t5 said:
Cs1 - blimey they are some sweet bikes! Love the yellow rockhopper in the first pic. I bet they ride really nicely.
Look all period correct - nice!

Thanks, I completely lucked out on that. I had bought a red one a year earlier and it was beat. The seller, on ebay, said he would take it back if I paid return shipping. Unfortunately, $100 US was too much to eat. So, I stripped it and sold the parts on ebay. This came up about a year later. The seller said it was hanging in his garage for almost 20 years. It looks like it. Those are original tires. The best part was a $100 US for a Deore XT bike that's mint.

Ebay is such a gamble. Sometimes you get a really great bike sometimes not. So far I'm about 50/50.

Some interesting posts since I put this up yesterday and some nice bikes...

I'm was 14 in 1991 when my newly aquired Hardrock was new.

I had a Rideback 601GS then, which had the same crappy 200GS groupset and a "Hi-Ten" (marketing jargon for cheap and very heavy) frame, but cost a lot less in the UK than a Hardrock... And had Madison Airgrips!

I had friends with everything from cheap Raleighs and Apollos to GTs, Muddyfoxs, Marins and even a Klein... We were a bit jealous, but mostly just enjoyed riding around together, regardless of where our own bike fitted in the "my bike's better than yours" rankings

Since having more pocket money, I now ride this:
DSC01092.JPG

Rumpfy, you missed the point so completely it defies belief...

I AQUIRED THE HARDROCK FREE, IT WAS A GIFT, IT IS A NICE OPPORTUNITY TO RIDE SOMETHING THAT, WHILST NOT FANCY, WAS A LOT MORE THAN MY 14yo POCKET MONEY COULD BUY IN 1991 AND IS A HAPPY AND FREE, YES FREE, THAT'S FREE....TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE...

Coincidentally, 1991 was around the time, that as a cocky 14yo, I used to hear this phrase a lot from my parents: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...

This is a useful mantra and has served me well throughout my happy and successfull life so far, including a year of living and working in the Bay Area, where every day provided many opportunities, to think what I say, before I say what I think...

So, you have yourself a nice day and just to please you some more, here she is again in all her pink, cheap, nasty GLORY ;)

Hardrock%252520003.jpg

Back